Best blades for cutting in moist, spring type grass/weeds?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Razorblades, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Bronze Member

Since this is my first spring to use my ZT mower(Lastec 32/61) articulator, I wanted to get some opinions on whether the std. lift blades or the High lift blades are better for the damp, moist, spring growth that we have in my area. I tried both late last summer in the drought type conditions and liked the high lift blades the best for those conditions but I'm wondering if the std lift blades might be better for the spring type growth. I also know that it might depend on whatever style works best, in general, for a particular brand of mower and types of grass that one is cutting, but I'm just talking about if anyone has noticed much of a difference in cut quality...etc between the 2 types for early spring mowing? Thanks in advance! Razorblades.

2. chammons

chammons LawnSite Member

I use gators for the first mow of the year...still a few leaves on the grass. The next month will be high lift for me. I live in NE OK, simular types of grasses.

3. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

ditto on gators

4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I use High Lifts..Gators don't seem to cut as good..

5. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

Meg-Mow blades no clumps

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

High lifts or you will have stringers sticking up all over the place. Even with high lifts you have to go over certain areas a couple of times. Winter weeds are tough to cut

7. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

keep us posted on how that Lastec works for ya. They look like really cool machines!

8. Razorblades

I will an update post an update every once in a while on it for anyone interested. I'm looking fwd to using it in the prime part of our season this year as it was getting really dry last year when I bought it. Only got to put it in heavy, thick grass once, which was about 1.5 acres. Power wasn't a problem, at all. I think that I had the std. lift blades on it then and while you couldn't bog the engine down, you did have to slow down a little because of clumping. Of course we're not talking about "normal" cutting conditions in that instance, as the grass was about 14 -18 inches high and thick and I was cutting it to 3". I will try it again this spring with the high lift blades on the same property and see how much difference that it makes. I did get to use it with the high lift blades once or twice on properties with fairly normal growth and it discharged very well, with no clumping at all. I've cut my accounts once so far this year, using the high lift blades. I think I'm going to try the std/low lift blades this weekend when I cut some of them for the 2nd time and see how they do compared to the high lifts, since the spring growth that I'll be cutting will be about the same as before. Thanks to all who have replied to my Question. Razorblades.

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

The best blades for cutting wet, tall grasses and weeds are very sharp ones.

10. Razorblades

No argument here! (refer. to my username)