Best blades for Hustler Super Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Ranger 13, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Lawn Ranger 13

Lawn Ranger 13 LawnSite Member

I just bought a Super Z 27/60 and love it. What are the best blades to use on this machine. I have always used gators on my GD surfer. I was able to leave some nice stripes on some of the yards. What blades do other Hustler owners use? Thanks for your replys.

2. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Run gators on her....

The Gator blade that is designed for Hustlers is available thru your Hustler dealer only....

They are way wide, and heavy...like flywheels!

I run doubles on my Hustler Z, with my rpms set at 3750 under no load.

When I spin those babys up to max speed....people look!

The sound double gators produce at max shaft speed is awesome!

You can find a gator that will fit....using the blade length...however: It is not as wide....

But one that is designed specifically for a Hustler can only be bought thru the dealer....

I wore out the blades she came with and have used gaters from my dealer ever since...

There might be a better combo....this works for me....

foot note: spinnin' double gators, properly sharpened, and balanced,

running maximum rpms, high blade tip speed, check your machines rpms....

and using a qwikchute,

will make tall grass dissappear!

3. Fescue Farmer

Fescue Farmer LawnSite Member

Lawn Ranger 13,

Down in the Valley from you in West Knoxville!

I have 2 25Kaw/52 Super Mini Z's and I was not satisfied with the quality of cut with the stock blades.

Soooo, went to Commercial Cutting Equipment in Maryville and picked up 18" exmark full length cutting edge with rounded notch cut around the back part of the lift section of the blade - fairly inexpensive...can't remember price.

But my Hustler blades are 17 7/8 of an inch long...soooooo... I ground 1/16" off of each end of the blade and rebalanced them.

They cut great! I also run Gator Magnums with a Quikchute with no mulch kit and they cut OK, obviously they mulch the clippings up better, but they don't cut near as well as the stock exmark blades.

PS - most of the time when I get rained out, it comes from your direction!

Everybody loves a Hustler: :)

josiah on z-1.jpg

4. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

of a Hustler Z running doubles, after mowing 15 acres today...Sunday!

Need to buy another mower, to complement my setup, a new Super soon...

Be sure to scrape your deck...
    hope this helps,
    kenny:eek:

doubles.jpg

5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I use the blades from J-Thomas.com on my Hustler Z. Part Number- HU-2161 for your 60 inch mower. They are excellent blades and they cost $7.25 each for your machine. I've used gators from the dealer and was not all that impressed with them considering the cost. They didn't seem to mulch any better than standard lift blades and I could only get about 12 re-sharpenings before having to toss them (soft steel?). Order a set of blades from J-Thomas and try them out.

6. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

On my 27/60 Super Z, I use Bobcat offset highlifts on bottom and a flat Gator on top. During Spring I use the same blade on bottom and a flat highlift on top. I get them from Lesco and I have great results with them. The discharge is awsome and makes for a Super blower. In Fall I also use double gators. I have the Quikchute as well.

7. lickedysplits

lickedysplits LawnSite Member

hey tim,
    i ordered that same combo of blades today, from j. thomas, for my mini z
    thanks for the help.
    eddie
    lickedy splits

8. NoWalk4Me

NoWalk4Me LawnSite Member

I run J-Thomas BobCat offset highlifts on my 27/60 SuperZ. Really impressed with the cut. They weigh considerably less than the Hustler highlifts but probably aren't as durable but I try to "know where and what" I'm cutting so this has yet to be an issue.

9. lickedysplits

lickedysplits LawnSite Member

hey fescue farmer,
    what size are those bar tires, where did ya get them, and how much?
    thanks for the help,
    eddie
    lickedy splits

10. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

just curious if anyone else has any comments on the j. thomas blades for the super z's....