1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Best blades for wet grass?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by hoylebros, Aug 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. hoylebros

hoylebros LawnSite Member

I have a few large accounts that just always seem to be thick and wet no matter what. Just wondering if any of you guys had any recommendations for the best blade set-up. I'm currently using a Toro 60" with gator blades and it just clumps up. Thanks!

2. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

My stock exmark high lift blades seem to do well in all conditions. Never tried anything else but was thinking of something like a gator blade for fall cleanups.
    Like I said, never a clumping problem with the high lifts...

3. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Get rid of the gators and try some high lift blades. I own Toros as well and if it is wet it is going to be nasty no matter what you have under there.

4. Scarlawnturf

Scarlawnturf LawnSite Member

Several years ago, I ran into a local Grasshopper rep who kept talking about the "wet blades" for Grasshoppers. I bought several sets and use them throughout the spring when conditions are wet and soggy. They are basically a set of high lifts that are about 3" wide (standard high lifts are 2 1/2") They work much better in wet conditions than standard high lifts. They seem to leave the deck much cleaner. They are not perfect, but work fairly well. I don't know if they are available for other mowers.

5. hoylebros

thanks for the replies!

6. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto - if the grass is wet at all (or tall) the worst thing you can do is use mulching blades or gator blades. . .

7. borwicks

borwicks LawnSite Senior Member

high lift. I bought a set of extra high lift. higher than your normal high lift. they were setting on the dealers shelf for 2 years he said. they suck some hp but the cut and stripping is 2nd to none. when i get a chance ill take a pic and post. there almost 90 degrees lip.

8. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Also, when wet we always raise the deck, that alone will help

9. hoylebros

thanks again guys!