Best blades for XR7 Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Synergy Ground, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Synergy Ground

Synergy Ground LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

We have a 2007 Hustler with the 60" XR7 Deck. I am currentley runnng the standard Fusion Blades that came with the mower. We have run 4 sets in the last few months. I've noticed that the cut is not exactley great. Its good, but not great. We are in north Florida and cut a variety of grass from Centepede, Bahaya, Bermuda, Etc.... Any suggestions on a better blade ????

2. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Any 20.5" blade with a 5/8" center hole will work. Sometimes you just have to try a few different combinations to find one that you like. Everyone has different cutting conditions and expectations.

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I have just a few bermuda lawns I maintain. For almost all my lawns (fescue and bermuda), I prefer the straight blades with the gator backs.

The biggest necessity I would have if I maintained a lot of warm-season low cut turf is using stock forks. Flex Forks are way too flimsy to be cutting low. The blades tend to pull the mower down into the turf and cause excessive crop circles and excessive body roll in the turns. You can get away with it in 4" fescue but it looks like crap when you cut low bermuda. :confused:

4. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

You may not get a great cut with the Hustler. After 2 months I gave My Super Mini back to the Dealer. I did try the 60" XR7 and the cut was better but not great.

I did a lot of different combinations on my Hustler before giving it back though. The best cut was using doubles with the Fusions on the Bottom and Hi-Lift Gators on top. Make sure they are Hi-lifts though.