Best blades to use with micro-mulch system?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by GTLC, Nov 4, 2003.

1. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

what are the best blades to use with the micro-mulch system?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

n1alx,

Here is my official unofficial on mulching with an Exmark. I use different blades depending on the time of the year and the type of grass. This is to run at max. efficiency and leave the cleanest look you need to adapt.

For mulching grass.. I would go with the Exmark wavy blade. This blade does the best for nearly all grasses. I would say that its claim to fame is with the Northern grasses, Blue grass, Fescue, and Rye. The only time I run into issues is early spring. That fresh new growth can make a mess. Here is the time I would bag, for the first couple cuttings. Most of the southern grasses you can mulch all year.

Mulching leaves.... I've got to give it to the G.....t....r type blades, the ones with the little fingers on the end. When you have leaves and it is super dry in the fall. I think this is when they shine. They will grind them up to nothing. I don't like this set up for Northern grasses in early part of the year, what a mess!! The Exmark wavy blades do a good job but they don't win the race when the trees are raining. Some of your not so high end Southern cutting areas these don't do to bad. Only thing bad about these blades is those fingers can get a little thin and come off. Please watch these like a hawk especially if you hit something.

I have seen some cutter run low lift blades with a mulch kit cutting road sides and center islands. Both Northern and Southern grass. Probably the best luck with Bahia and Bermuda grass. It does leave 3 faint trails of grass, but man if frees-up the horse power.

Here are my last tips for mulching; these are a must for commercial applications. Sharp blades, high blade tip speed and horse power.

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse. Thanks, Fred.

3. GTLC

I see so the best eXmark blades to use (other than the gators) are the wavy ones. Thanks.

4. GTLC

So the eXmark wavy blades are the ones with the notches on the wings right?

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

n1alx,

NO.

The OEM eXmark are simply the Wavy blade, no fingers. This is one. [​IMG]

It is also #8 in my picture

blade choices sm.jpg

6. GTLC

Got it. #6 and #7-do those work well for mulching?

7. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

n1alx,

TLS is correct; the wavy blade comes with the mulch kit. The notched is our standard side discharge blade. The wavy blade is the only blade that Exmark has for mulching.

TLS thanks for the picture. I need to get better at that!

Thanks, Fred.