Best Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BushHawG, Jul 16, 2007.

1. BushHawG

BushHawG LawnSite Member

High lift, gator, straight cut, what can you exspect to gain by going to straight, no lift blades, more blade speed? Better cut ? smoother cut? Or are the super high lift better for pulling the grass up to get a better cut? Or running with stacked blades, one straight & one high lift.Trying to get the best cut.
  2. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

What are you mowing with? what type of grass are you cutting and at what height? I personally like my stock bob-cat blades the best. The only time i like gator blades is when i'm doing clean-ups, i feel that they leave the grass "shaggy" for a lack of a better term. There is a ton of variables that can effect how the blade and your mower get along.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Grass Happens, everybody's situation is different. Experiment and see what works for you.

For example...

I have a Ferris 36" gear drive mower that I just can't seem to cut the way I like. I've tried the factory blades and Gators on it so far. With the Bahia grass we have here the factory blades cut it clean but tend to leave a lot of long stalks laying on top of the grass. Gator blades chop up the long stalks real good but they don't seem to leave a nice manicured cut. This week I'm going to try both sets of blades at once in a criss-cross + configuation. Double blades.
  4. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

You may want to try mamba (sp) blades. There from J.thomas (probably others as well) they are wider, and winglets are much taller then on a gator blade, perhaps the higher lift will help you out. I was going to get a set, but I have more then enough blades now, and like i said, i'm fairly happy with the results.
  5. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Take a look at my web site
  6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

If the grass is growing a lot, stay away from Gators & mulchers or you will have clumping. I try to use those in the summer & fall though because it leaves less clippings.
  7. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Different Decks respond differently to different blades. Like the others stated your really going to have to experiment to see what works for your equipment, local conditions and cutting style.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

No thanks. Blades that don't cut all of the grass are way worse than blades that leave clippings on top.

BTW, how'd that satisfaction poll work out for you?
  9. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Totally agree , I dont run Hustlers blades on there mowers. Experiment as stated you'd be suprised at what different blades will do,good and bad :laugh:
  10. BushHawG

BushHawG LawnSite Member

I think I'll give the mamba's a try. I have a new 48" Ferris DD comfort control walk behind, love the mower, built like a tank, just can't get the perfect cut with it yet. I'll try the experimenting part out , maybe try a spacer above the blades, and / or try a sharper bevel on the blade cut angle.