best blades

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Spring Valley Lawn Service, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Spring Valley Lawn Service

Spring Valley Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I run a toro z 400 48 inch ztr with a tor mulch kit. What r the best blades to use for leaves and best for grass. What blades will last. I ve been through 5 sets this year

2. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

We run gators year round! How in the world did you go through five sets of blades in a season?

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

5 sets is alot, just curious how are you sharpening them?

I think oregon makes some blades call "fusion" blades that use "tungsten for the cutting serfice.

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

5. Spring Valley Lawn Service

It's not the sharpening. I have two properties that r real dusty. And maybe it was three, I bent one blade. But anyway my blades are wearing out in the flight.

6. Spring Valley Lawn Service

I ve put 360 hrs on my mower this year. How many hours on average do people get on blades

7. Toro 455

Toro 455 LawnSite Member

I like the Toro mulching blades. I buy them during Toro's spring sale so they're competitively priced. For leaves I'd definitely get mulching blades. Like Gators.

You can get the hardened blades but I figure the extended life is equal to the higher price.

I've heard stories about sandy soils eating up a set of blades in 100 hours. I can probably get 300 hours out of a set in Ohio.

8. tinkerlawn

tinkerlawn LawnSite Member

We run the Oregon Fusion on all of our equip and have never been more impressed with a set of blades. I believe they come standard on all of hustler's units. We bought an extra set with when we purchased our hustler z and currently have 700hrs between those 2 sets with a lot of life to go. Haven't tried the Fusion Gator combo

9. Ecotech

Ecotech LawnSite Member

We are using the Gator G6's with good results.