1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best blower choice for my budget?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by adawg88, Jun 12, 2006.

1. adawg88

adawg88 LawnSite Member
    from MI

Hello -

I am just a homeowner, but am posting in this forum because a search revealed this is where blower questions are normally asked. I am looking for a nice handheld blower, primarily for blowing grass clippings and fall leaf cleanup from a few maples I have. My max budget is $200. I did a search here for blowers and got several ideas, so below are the models I am looking at. Let me know if I am missing any and please let me know which you feel is the best choice. I have to preface this by saying I have used my father's Stihl BG-85 a lot and absolutely love it - has never NOT started on the first pull - I just have been given my marching orders by the wife to keep it under $200 and they are going for $240 out my way...but the features I like on the BG-85 (aside from the power) is the flat nozzle and speed control.

Redmax HBZ2600 - can get for $195 but does not have cruise control and flat tip is extra

Echo PB-230LN - Can also get for $195, has cruise and flat nozzle, but I have read it is underpowered

Shindaiwa EB240 - Can be had for $199, but I know very little about this model, just came up a few times in search. How does it stack up with the others?

I am hoping to pull the trigger ASAP on this, while the wife is still onboard. Any help/opinions are appreciated!
  2. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

The Stihl BG-55 would be everything that you need and more. It is the perfect homeowner blower with a ton of power. I think there is a rebate on the BG-55 right now as well.
  3. Camaro99SS

Camaro99SS LawnSite Member

I have a 5 year old BG-55 and bought the flat nozzle for it. It's probably the best value out there right now for power and decent durability. Some of the Stihl handlelds got cat converters this year that decreased the power though. If I were you, I'd try to find a slightly used BG-85. If you find one that's a year or 2 old, you could probably still get a warranty for it and stay in budget. At least that's what the dealers around here do.

4. adawg88

adawg88 LawnSite Member
    from MI

I cannot find the answer anywhere...does the BG-55 have something to lock the throttle? Maybe I just haven't used a blower enough, but I found this feature VERY helpful.
  5. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

I use an Echo PB-230LN for blowing of driveways & walks......I also have a RedMax 7001 backpack blower on the trailer but rarely need to use it.

I've been pretty happy with my Echo, don't know about moving many leaves with any handheld, though.
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the echo 230ln is underpowered and mine didnt last very long either. the shindy is a decent unit but not all that much blow for the $. the redmax 2600 is a real powerhouse and mine has lasted 10 yrs but will nor run if the temp is over 80f (i use it only in the winter) both sthils i owned were VERY poor preformers (bg72) the entry level echo is your best bet. i have had several of these and they were fine. (got stolen). if you want a hand blower to last you the rest of your life and blow like a backpack-get a echo pb210e
  7. adawg88

adawg88 LawnSite Member
    from MI

I have seen a few people say this about handhelds. I had no problem blowing them into large piles last year for bagging. maybe we are thinking different things? The bg-85 handeled this easily...
  8. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Get the BG85, you will not be sorry that you spent the extra $20.
  9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The BG55 has no trigger lock like the BG85 does, but it really isn't neccesary.
    The 85 has just a TAD more power and I do mean a TAD which simply isn't noticed in the real world.
    You don't want a flat nozzle on the 55, it reduces its effectiveness by reducing air flow. The flat nozzle adds some MPH in air flow but the CFM moves the clippings and such better than the extra bit of velocity for sure.
    We've tried both the 55 and 85...........the 55 is a much better value on a dollar for dollar basis considering the only mechanical difference between the two is a different carburetor on the 85 for that tad bit more power.(.94 horsepower versus 1.1 horsepower)
    The Bg 55 retails for around $150................