1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Blower & Edger?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stizostedion_vitreum, Sep 22, 2004.

1. stizostedion_vitreum

stizostedion_vitreum LawnSite Member
    from ND

What's the best blower, edger and trimmers? Take everything into account please, such as: efficiency, warranty, expense, ease of operation.

Locally just about everything is available and serviced.

Also, are any of you using the "Multi-tools?" The ones with single engines and numerous attachments? If so, are they good machines?

Thanks in advance,

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

What you will hear now is everyone's personal opinion. :) So get ready to be told that Sthil, Echo, Shindy, Redmax...and some will even say Husky are the best. It will be personal perference more than anything else so Demo at the dealers you will use for your best feel.

Also do a Search as this topic is discussed like every 2 days on here probably, so there will be tons and tons of threads with answers already ther for you.
  3. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

As far as edgers go. I have an echo 230 and just bought the shindiawa M2500. for hedtrimmers and a trimmer and edger backup. I like the edger attachment and the M2500 much better than my echo.
  4. BladesAway

BladesAway LawnSite Member
    from Ok

Echo is my choice on all my handheld equipment. I have a dealer real close and always has what I need. I haven't tried anything else though. I really haven't needed to.
  5. rico387

rico387 LawnSite Member

mmlawn is right. You will get lots of opinions on favorite brands here. Do your own research as to what works for you and your situation. Echo, Redmax, Shindaiwa, Stihl, Husqvarna, are all good brands. They are priced competitively. You can't go wrong with any of these brands. The best thing to do is look for the best dealer. Does he put commercial lawn guys as a priority? Does he stock commonly broken parts (carb kits, throttle triggers, mufflers, screws lost to vibration)? Does your dealer discount or demand list price? If you are in the middle of your workday and your string trimmer croaks, you have to load up your stuff, explain to your customer why you are leaving, and drive your sweaty, mad self to your supplier whom you hope has the stuff to get you going again so you can get going again before it gets so late you're next customer is mad and you're wife bit@hes at you for showing up after dinner.
    Spare parts are a must. A good dealer is a Godsend.
    Rick IAFF local 2294
  6. thor

thor LawnSite Member

As far as my choice riyobi makes the best string trimmer and homelite blowers are pretty good machines. IMHO oh yeah if you get the split shaft on the trimmer you can buy more attachments at the depot for it. I think the john deer is the same.
  7. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Are you insane? The equipment you just listed is considered by all but the deluded to me throw away homeowner junk. The only exception to this would be someone starting out and simply could not afford decent equipment. Redmax, Shindaiwa, Stihl , Echo, all have entry level commercial equipment.