best booster pump to buy for very week water pressure?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by tbettis, Jun 12, 2007.

1. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

looking at getting a system put in this fall but the homes in my subdivision run off of a so called water tower that runs the whole area of town. the pressure is very low...somewhat 35-40 psi at the most. what can i do or what do u experts recommend?:confused:

2. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Go to an irrigation supply house. Talk with them.

3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Good Luck, it can be done, but do your homework. If you hire it out, avoid low bid, you won't like it. Make SURE the contractor KNOWS what he is getting into and make sure the CONTRACT guarantees you a system.

I strongly recomend NOT working in your neighborhood. About 4 years ago, I "suggested" to 4 clients that it would be cheaper to forget they had an irrigation system and if they couldn't do that, it would be a LOT cheaper to hire someone else. Static pressure in this town was below 30 and could drop below 20psi. They were paying astronomical penalties on insurance because of the fire risk. The hydrants didn't have enough water for the trucks to pump from.

4. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

to clerify...i will not be doing the install myself...

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes a booster pump won't fix the problem, because there simply isn't enough water flow to supply it.

6. Beartooth

Beartooth LawnSite Member

Check out the Grundfos MQ in-line pump. It is designed for the application you have explained. This pump comes in both a 3/4 hp and 1 hp version. It's a pretty cool little pump. But, as suggested before, do your homework and have someone help you size the pump to your existing pressure(psi) and flow(gpm).

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Part one of the homework is to see what the supply line size and length is. Then to measure the flow at the house meter with multiple outlets open. That flow number is important.

8. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

well i had one guy come out and he told me that he would have to break it down to 10 zones. the yard is approx 6500 sq feet... what are the advantages and disadvantages to this many zones.

9. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

If your pressure is that low the rest of your house is weak , I would suggest a whole house pressurizer pump , it will boost the house and the irrigation .
    Thal to a local plumber , if he does the pump have him tie in a backflow for the sprinkler as well

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I've carved systems into tiny slices before. The disadvantage is in the total watering time with a small supply. More zones can actually be a benefit, if they give you watering without a lot of tiny droplets that drift away with the wind.

A whole-house booster will get you the shortest watering times, but there is a caution to their use. And that's where you need the maximum-flow number from your water meter, to make sure you aren't taking any risks with a booster.