Lawn Care Forum banner

Best Boot?

22K views 73 replies 55 participants last post by  Firefighter337 
#1 ·
Last year I wore some Caronlinas and I liked them pretty well.

Bought some CAT Duncans today but not steel toe.

What do you all wear?

#53 ·
What kinds of work are you primarily doing while wearing your boots?
Riding a Z? Operating a WB? A lil of everything?

Dealing with rain/dew/moisture while working on uneven terrain?

I prefer a ventilated mid-top hiker with Goretex. These breathe well while resisting external moisture. Hikers in general deliver impressive traction & stability for operating a WB/trimmer/blower on slippery slopes. So far, from all the brands I've tried over the years, I like Vasque Breeze GTX the best for comfort and performance.

http://vasque.com/vasque-shoe/7482-vasque/7482-vasque-mens-breeze-2.0-gtx-slatebrown-russetorange
That looks exactly like what I'm looking for! I don't like boots that carry a lot of bulk above the ankle, that bulk seems to only serve as a place to funnel debris into the boot and give the feeling of a less supported ankle. I had a pair of Vasques many years ago and they make a very high quality boot, unfortunately there isn't a very good selection around here and I ended up with some Merrells that aren't exactly what I'm looking for, but still a good shoe. What I like about the hikers over typical work boots is your foot tends to come down flatter with better ground contact than a heeled work boot, really protects those ankles. My feet feel better after a day in hikers than they do in regular work boots too.

#54 ·
I don't like boots that carry a lot of bulk above the ankle, that bulk seems to only serve as a place to funnel debris into the boot and give the feeling of a less supported ankle. I had a pair of Vasques many years ago and they make a very high quality boot...
What I like about the hikers over typical work boots is your foot tends to come down flatter with better ground contact than a heeled work boot, really protects those ankles. My feet feel better after a day in hikers than they do in regular work boots too.
Those are all good points about quality footwear for our line of work.

While I can't say that Vasque Breeze don't allow debris in from the top, I can say they're better than other brands I've tried. AND, they're cooler than other brands...an important quality I've come to appreciate.

Bryan27, if you ever get yourself a pair of Breeze I'd love to hear your review: for better or worse.

Anymore, I order my boots online, and if you're unable to try them on first to find your size in a particular model/brand...I'll recommend finding your "Euro size" and cross-correlate w/in your desired model/brand. I've rarely been let down with this method. Kudos to Onlineshoes.com for how they operate their business...as I use them 90%+ of the time and usually save 25-30% off of retail by waiting for their best sales.

#61 ·
Under Armor(hunting boots) is by far the best. They cost more and were hard to find but I have never had boots hold up like these.

#64 ·
Would love to see some more responses. I would say I have never found a boot that lived up to my expectations. But maybe my expectations are just too high. Someone told me when you work outside in all conditions it doesn't matter what boot you buy none of them are going to last all that long. Some I have tried: Rocky slip ons, timberland hiking boots, Lowa hiking boots, Wal-Mart specials, Nike shox, wolverine's. Each of them had there own problems that made me move on to the next brand, however all of them wore out before I thought they should. Maybe I walk funny or something, but the max life for any of my foot wear is about 3-4 months. Is this normal?
Not normal at all. I buy danner boots and love them. I have a pair of quarrys with a alloy toe. they have held up for over a year of abuse and still going strong. I wear them everyday.

#65 ·
I just want something comfortable for dirt work lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Have you tried Brahma's I went through boots after boots some lasted a month to 3 months, I just tried some brahma's middle of last season and everything I have done in them they have last this long, longer than any other boot so far and extremely comfortable no blisters or calluses as I experienced in all the other brands I have destroyed.

Not tore anywhere, soles are still completely in tact, any others would be flip flopping by 3rd month.

Give them a shot if you have not tried them.

This is pair I have did not buy them at wallyworld never go there.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brahma-6-Wide-Men-s-Bravo-Workboot/20680484

#66 ·
Have you tried Brahma's I went through boots after boots some lasted a month to 3 months, I just tried some brahma's middle of last season and everything I have done in them they have last this long, longer than any other boot so far and extremely comfortable no blisters or calluses as I experienced in all the other brands I have destroyed.

Not tore anywhere, soles are still completely in tact, any others would be flip flopping by 3rd month.

Give them a shot if you have not tried them.

This is pair I have did not buy them at wallyworld never go there.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brahma-6-Wide-Men-s-Bravo-Workboot/20680484
Yep tried those. They completely destroyed my foot. Even with insoles.

I have reg timberland pros right now. I miss my woverlines though.

I got to pick up some mucks next week
Posted via Mobile Device

#67 ·
Everyone's feet are different lol they are so comfortable to me, even timberlands kill my feet, I used Wolverines when I was a welder, they did not like my feet either but of course they were steel toed and steel shielded leg weights lol

#68 ·
the most comfortable boots I have come across are Hytest Footrests with oblique toe, they are composite toe. feel almost as good as running shoes on foot, I have to work 12 hr. shifts in them, the tend to hold up better than most others. Have wore Danner boots also very nice and can be resoled.

#70 ·
I had a $25 pair of closeout Lawngrips that just lost a sole after 11 mths. That's about 8 mths of mostly mowing use. No foot pain for a year mowing 4hr per day with a w/b. Sad to hear I can't get a replacement pair. The beveled tread was also excellent at not holding much mud.
Trying Merrell hikers this time. Thanks for the input.

#71 ·
As a former golf course super I found the only way to waterproof any boot is to use Snow Seal on the boots. I also use Shoe Goo around the seams of the sole of the boot. Basically, I seal the boots off but it is a lot better than wet feet. I always use all leather boots though. I am not sure how that would work on those with canvas.

Over 20 years in this business. There is no boot that can hold up to what we are doing unless you use snow seal to protect them. No one wants to pay for new boots all of the time. I have several pairs of boots and that is all I wear. I do not wear any tennis shoes or anything like that. Even on special occasions such as weddings or such, I wear my work boots.

Hell, I wore my work boots to my own wedding. Trust me, you need all leather and you need Snow Seal and Shoe GOO.

That is definitive.

#72 ·
As a former golf course super I found the only way to waterproof any boot is to use Snow Seal on the boots. I also use Shoe Goo around the seams of the sole of the boot. Basically, I seal the boots off but it is a lot better than wet feet. I always use all leather boots though. I am not sure how that would work on those with canvas.

Over 20 years in this business. There is no boot that can hold up to what we are doing unless you use snow seal to protect them. No one wants to pay for new boots all of the time. I have several pairs of boots and that is all I wear. I do not wear any tennis shoes or anything like that. Even on special occasions such as weddings or such, I wear my work boots.

Hell, I wore my work boots to my own wedding. Trust me, you need all leather and you need Snow Seal and Shoe GOO.

That is definitive.
Dude…they invented this thing called Gore tex.
No need for mink oil, snow seal, camp dry etc.

a decade in the military and twice as long doing this.

I can stand IN water in a pair of G-tex as long as the water doesn't come over the top of the boot.

#73 ·
Dude…they invented this thing called Gore tex.
No need for mink oil, snow seal, camp dry etc.

a decade in the military and twice as long doing this.

I can stand IN water in a pair of G-tex as long as the water doesn't come over the top of the boot.
Well, good for you then. You can go stand in water all you want to prove your point about how much better you are than me. Please post some pics of you doing so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.