Lawn Care Forum banner

Best Boot?

22K views 73 replies 55 participants last post by  Firefighter337 
#1 ·
Last year I wore some Caronlinas and I liked them pretty well.

Bought some CAT Duncans today but not steel toe.

What do you all wear?

#3 ·
What kinds of work are you primarily doing while wearing your boots?
Riding a Z? Operating a WB? A lil of everything?

Dealing with rain/dew/moisture while working on uneven terrain?

I prefer a ventilated mid-top hiker with Goretex. These breathe well while resisting external moisture. Hikers in general deliver impressive traction & stability for operating a WB/trimmer/blower on slippery slopes. So far, from all the brands I've tried over the years, I like Vasque Breeze GTX the best for comfort and performance.

http://vasque.com/vasque-shoe/7482-vasque/7482-vasque-mens-breeze-2.0-gtx-slatebrown-russetorange

#4 ·
Would love to see some more responses. I would say I have never found a boot that lived up to my expectations. But maybe my expectations are just too high. Someone told me when you work outside in all conditions it doesn't matter what boot you buy none of them are going to last all that long. Some I have tried: Rocky slip ons, timberland hiking boots, Lowa hiking boots, Wal-Mart specials, Nike shox, wolverine's. Each of them had there own problems that made me move on to the next brand, however all of them wore out before I thought they should. Maybe I walk funny or something, but the max life for any of my foot wear is about 3-4 months. Is this normal?

#5 ·
Operating a WB will put the most HARD miles on a pair of boots. Being pain-free at the end of the day AND the next morning is worth a lot to me.
I don't quite get 3 months out of mine, but as soon as I start feeling weird pains I know it's time for a new pair...and am happy to fork over the money. I know my brand & size and purchase from onlineshoes dot com. They'll match other outlet's prices...and they're usually at my door in 3-5 business days.

#11 ·
I've used allot of boots over the years. Once I learned that none really last, I buy the cheap boots from Wal-Mart. I get three months out of them and toss them for a new pair. I usually buy two pair at the beginning of the year and toss the first pair July 4th.

#12 ·
I second the Thorogood boots mentioned on a previous post. After using Redwing, Carolina, Rocky and Timberland...these have passed all expectations. Composite toe, toe cap keeps leather from rubbing bare, great traction, strong heel, I've broken off a heel on a pair of Timberlands while edging a flower bed once...they are waterproof and have a removable inersole...I wear an orthotic and usually if I wear the orthotic in a boot it rubs a hole on the inside of the heel...not been a problem with the Thorogoods...I picked them up at a local Amish store for about 125$ but they usually go for around 200$ but I am not spending this every six months like some people have mentioned for their boots

#13 ·
Georgia wellington boot. I was apprehensive at first because of the grip, and i didn't think the soles would last. These boots are so comfortable. My knees and feet love them! I do a lot of walking and I do a little bit of everything. Lasted two seasons and could go further if i put inserts in them. not as soft anymore. The leather and sole are in great shape. I think they are about $175. I will be buying another pair in a month. get the steel toe.

Footwear Brown Shoe Durango boot Boot

#16 ·
Winter/snow&wet muddy days: the north face chilkats
Summer mowing days merril Moab mids.
Or very hot or a lot of walking merril reflex

Timbaland pro pitboss. I give a thumbs down... steel toe but just to bulky and not very comfortable..

I liked doc martin boots and Carolinas are ok. But for me the north face and merrils. Wear is about 6 months depending on the type of work...

#17 ·
I like Timberland Pro Pit Boss lace up boots. I usually end up using my Ariat slip on boots though because they don't take as long to put on. Every second counts when I usually wake up to my employee calling me to see why I'm not at the shop (20' behind my house) yet.

#20 ·
Would love to see some more responses. I would say I have never found a boot that lived up to my expectations. But maybe my expectations are just too high. Someone told me when you work outside in all conditions it doesn't matter what boot you buy none of them are going to last all that long. Some I have tried: Rocky slip ons, timberland hiking boots, Lowa hiking boots, Wal-Mart specials, Nike shox, wolverine's. Each of them had there own problems that made me move on to the next brand, however all of them wore out before I thought they should. Maybe I walk funny or something, but the max life for any of my foot wear is about 3-4 months. Is this normal?
That's all I get out of a pair of boots but I wear slip in work boot... Right now I have some Ariat work hogs and they are just about shot and I got them in October.
Posted via Mobile Device

#21 ·
ive got a pair of timberland pros and i like them. i was in the army for 5 years and really hate boots period. i go threw a couple pairs of shoes a year. used to get boots every year but dont think i will with these. only part i dont like is the weight of the boots and took a lil while to break in. overall though i love em. not bad for $40 nib at a garage sale.

#25 ·
I have tried just about everything too. My favorite by far is Merrell hiking shoes with the custom Dr. Sholls insoles for my foot type. Worth every penny. About $115 for the shoes and 45 for the custom insoles for my foot type. Large boots are just too heavy for me. I am on my feet all day with the exception of sitting on a Z. I also have really bad feet from playing sports all my life. You should give them a try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.