Best Brand of heads?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ranger520, Sep 25, 2002.

1. ranger520

ranger520 LawnSite Member

I am probly shooting myself in the foot for asking this question this way but i am looking for opinons on what are the best brand of heads out there. I am thinking of instaling my own system for the first time and want to do it right. Also, any online suppliers would be great.

Thanks
    scott

2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Hunter I20 rotors and Professional or Institutional sprays have worked well for me. RainBird and Toro brag about their heavier plastic bodies, thicker stainless steel etc. I have yet to see where the stuff they brag on materially effects performance. I've never had a problem with a Hunter srpinkler body failing. Never.

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Hunter, on all parts. Rotor heads, spray heads, valves, timers.

4. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

I also agree with Hunter products being the best & most reliable...we install the PGP heads out here

5. ranger520

ranger520 LawnSite Member

Can you guys recommend a good online sourse or do you all by from a local supply house?

6. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

Hunter all the way, we buy from our local Ewing irrigation.

7. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I would too have to say HUNTER in my experience I love Hunter products.

8. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

What ever you do stay out of Home Cheapo or sLowes... By the best brand in the industry " Hunter or Rainbird" it will flatter your installation work. Before installing I would spend the winter reading post's and asking questions. I just hope you know someone who knows how its done, to fall back on. My big question is who is designing it for you??
    Good Luck Bruce
    Aqua Turf Lawnsprinkling and Desogn

9. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

I would have to say that the brand of head does not matter so much, Find one that is easy to adjust and reliable. Hunter, rainbird, Irritrol and Toro are all fine in my book. At the end of the day what matters most is the design of the system and the quality of the Install. Personally, I prefer Irritrol CR 500 and Toro 570Z's

10. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

Mike, how long have you been installing Toro and the Irritrol rotor which is also now the same as the Toro Super 800. I have used those rotors as well as the Toro spray heads.

I have installed Toro, Rain Bird, Hunter, and Irritrol. Was just curious how well all worked. After two years, I've had not one failure on any product. The only problem I've had is with improper installation which was done by me. After I fixed the install all have worked fine.

I buy my drip products from a Weathermatic distributor. Maybe I will try these next even though I have been using all Hunter lately. I also agree with what you said on install and design.

Thanks
    Sam