Best Brand of Tall Fescue?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daren, Feb 6, 2001.

1. Daren

Daren LawnSite Member

Just curious to see what brand everyone prefers? I have been using solely Rebel III tall fescue. Went today and looked at Scott's Tall Fescue, Rebel's Tall fescue and Lesco's Transition Blend. Which one do you prefer and have the best results. I will be using it in my hydro seeder. Thanks!

Daren Brantley
    Top Cut Lawn Care
  2. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have always used rebels supreme blend, and have had excellent results in full sun, & even in the shade. I have never used any other brands, so I cannot comment on them.

3. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Lesco transistion and the tuf turf varieties have performed well for me. I like the Tuf-turf because of the Bluegrass in the blend.

Studies are showing a mixture 90-10 fescue blue perform better than fescue alone. I've noticed the turf fills in better and the blue offsets some of the fescues disease problems in the summer.
  4. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I'am a transistion blend from lesco man ....I've tried all kinds of blends for my area .,an it works the best
  5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

To answer this question correctly, in any part of the country, for any type of grass, the proper source is . The National Turfgrass Evaluation Program constantly runs testing of new and old grass varieties at land grant colleges around the country. The grasses are rated for color, density, disease and insect tolerance, and other qualities.
    To effectively use this data, you must only pick test sites with similar climatic conditions to your own site. Then review the scoring of the various varieties of the species you wish to use at these test sites. This is the best way to tell which varieties to use for best results in your region.
  6. Green Acres

Green Acres LawnSite Senior Member

how much is a 50lb bag of the transition blend?
  7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I have also used rebels in sun and shade iwth exellent results. Its very atractive while at the same time very drought tolerant and traffic tollerant!
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I use Lesco transition. I've had really good results from it. I think it is around $1.05 per lbs.
  9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Tried Rebel but wasn't impressed. I use Lesco Transition blend with good results, handles drought much better that Rebel. I had one customer last year who did not water his lawn once, forty days without rain, after a few good rains most of it was back to green. $0.95 per pound. Very impressive grass. [​IMG]

Good grass seed info:

[Edited by KirbysLawn on 02-07-2001 at 12:27 AM]
  10. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Went through the site to see what info was available for my area (VA4) and there was none. To order an analysis was $250.00 clams. All to find out which fescue does best in SE VA. Been using rebel 3, but wanted to stack it up agains Lesco's transition blend and others. Any coastal NC folks here with experience using these or others in that area?