Best Broadcast Spreader??

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by pryker, May 17, 2004.

1. pryker

pryker LawnSite Member

I was fertilizing my lawn a few weeks ago and was using a Brinly tow behind broadcast spreader. What a complete piece of crap!! It started out fine but would clog often, poor distribution pattern and towing it made being consistant a joke. I have to keep leaning back to reach the off lever and with a lawn tractor could not turn short enough.

I switched to my scotts push spreader. It was 100 times better. My question is this: What is the BEST walk behind spreader and the best tow spreader? Which ones do you guys use and recommend?

I have 3.5 acres.

2. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

3. pryker

pryker LawnSite Member

They look good. Let me ask you guys this then:

I would prefer to get a tow behind as I have such a large yard. But I have better control with the walk behind model even though I feel like I am running a marathon when I use the walk behind. It is hard work.

What about the electrics? Has anyone tried an electric and mount it on the back of a ZTR? I have a Lazer 60 I could mount it on? What electric do you guys recommend?

4. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

I was in the exact same situation as you, and finally settled on this Spyker spreader: SPREADER 50 SERIES

It was drop-shipped directly from the factory, so I had to put it together, which was a bit of a pain, but its worked out great. I went with a walk-behind for the extra control, as you mentioned, and also so I don't need to start up the ZTR when I just want to spread a little salt on the ice in the winter.
  5. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Spyker spreaders ABSOLUTELY RULE!

I bought an Earthway for $100 a few years ago, used it a couple times and threw it out.
  6. RjCjR

RjCjR LawnSite Member

I've always used a Lesco spreaders. I've seen those things fall out of trucks, dropped, everything! and they're pretty indestructable! Plus, if something ever breaks they're simple to fix
  7. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Hey pryker
    Here's what you need for your Z rider - a front mount electric broadcast spreader
    Good Luck
  8. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

have two, one is for the small lawns it is an Earthway 2400 stainless steel broadcast spreader - 5 years and no problems.
    For large areas I use a Jrco Electric Broadcast spreader (pricey at $800.) and it is a life saver on large lawns, construction is Poly, Stainless, Aluminum and Cast Iron, 4 years and no problems.
    No more red face and pounding chest for me...

9. pryker

pryker LawnSite Member

I bought a JRCO! I went to the local dealer and they had one on display. WOW... very cool! They had to order me one as the one I was looking at was just purchased. While I was there a landscaper came in and I spoke to him about it.

He says he has many of his ZTR's setup with them and that he loves them. He has had them for 4 years with zero problems. I cannot wait to try it out!! I paid $805 for spreader and $85 for mounting bracket.

Thanks guys.
  10. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member