Best broadleaf control in spring

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jfgold, Apr 22, 2007.

1. jfgold

jfgold LawnSite Member

Hello, I am a recently licensed applicator and wanted some opinions on the best broadleaf control that could be put down in conjunction with a spring fertilizer w/dimension. There are a couple choices that my suppliers have and I just was looking for what the good and bad about all of them are. The ones that I am looking at are Super Trimec, Horsepower and Momentum. Sweeney recommends a sticker for the horsepower. Do you use stickers and are they worth the extra $$. My choices for vendors are Sweeney seed (closest) Shemin and Lesco. Sweeney wants 157.00 for 2 1/2 gallons of horsepower which is on the large side for quantity for me. I'd like to stick with a gallon size if possible. Thanks in advance for your time, this is an awesome site!

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I use a 3 way weed control like triplet or trimec992 or classic. cost about $17 per gallon in 55 gal drum, $55-$60 in 2.5 gal. I don't use a sticker and get very good results.

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Is your grass Fescue? If so Trimec is great...Speedzone is another that I use a lot here in TN. Speedzone is about $100/gal, Lesco's Three-Way is about $55 and Southern Speedzone (less 2-4D) is about 55/gal. On our fescue the Trimec does the best. When you state:"-best broadleaf control that could be put down in conjunction with a spring fertilizer w/dimension." You're not planning to put it down at the same time are you? Post Chems should be used when the weeds and grass are a little further alone maybe 4-6 weeks.
    Some others a little further north may have a better choice.

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

This is the advice you need to follow. I realize your soil temps are probably higher than mine, and your season is 2-3, maybe 4 weeks earlier than mine, but with that said, if you haven't already had your pre-emergent down yet, then you don't need to be applying post emergent.

Mid to late May is the ideal for a spring time application.

Personally I use Momentum.

5. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If spot spraying with a back pack sprayer is it advisable to mix at the 1 oz per gallon of water or should it be a lighter mixture. I know that it should be 1 oz per 1k. But I'm talking about wandering through a lawn hitting only the dandelions and not blanketing the area.

6. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

Stickers are a waste of money and only beneficial with wild violets. On wild violets make sure you spray them under the leaf. The top of the leaf has a waxy substance on them and can be hard to control. Just use a basic 3way. Horsepower is very good. Prob the best that riverdale has to offer. I use a 3way and see very good results. Nathan

7. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Lesco 3 way, momentum fx2 and trimec plus are what i use. Was also hoping to try Q4, if i can get it.

8. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

I use surfactants on all my weed control apps. Does anyone else use surfactants or stickers. I also get excellent control. Just curious.

9. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I've heard dish detergent works just as well.

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've tried with and without spreader sticker from Lesco.

I BELIEVE I get better control, rainfast faster with the sticker.