Best chain saw for $300.00?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by JTF40, May 17, 2006.

1. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got $300.00 to spend on a new chain saw. For those of you who use/own one, tell me your opinions - good, bad, & the ugly !!!:usflag:

2. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

Home depot little Echo guy. Had it 4 yrs and it runs like a champ.

3. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

husky 350.................................

4. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I'd second that.
    Echo CS3400
    The dealers here sell them for the same price... $199 with the 14" bar. I would rather buy at my dealer. I've put mine through all kinds of torture, and darn it, it just won't quit! I wore out a bar and had to change the fuel pickup in the tank, but that's it. Going on 5 years of great service...

Can also speak very highly of Stihl MS260 and the 066. Super machines! A little more than you wanted to spend though.

A

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't do treework but a chainsaw sure is handy for larger branches and smaller trees, as well as pruning crepe myrtles and other thick-branched stuff.

Although I ran the original through a LOT of wood (lots of work after Hurricane Isabelle a few years ago) and recently had to replace it, I love my Stihl 210. Small and handy, yet powerful enough to tackle things larger than I should be fooling with, I think they run around $240 or so.

not sure on the bar size but it's a small saw, so...

6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl, not exactly how much they are. Every single hand held I have is a Stihl and they have all been excellant.

7. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

stihl ms250

8. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

For $300? ECHO. the smaller models are super, and bulletproof too. I tried hard as hell to kill one at 15, and it NEVER died, well not till I accidentally dropped it from a high place.

9. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl the one !:drinkup:

10. M RASCOE&SONS

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

put another 65 bucks with it and get the husky 455 rancher..