Best chainsaw for firewood business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by juststartin, Aug 26, 2003.

1. juststartin

juststartin LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to purchase a Husky Echo or Stihl can saw to use to cut firewood commercialy. I would like a comercial grade saw but am not sure how big is to big. I dont wont to buy to small either.
  2. phillylawnking1

phillylawnking1 LawnSite Member

I think the best saw for just doin firewood is the Stihl 026 its a good all together saw.
  3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Depending on the size of wood you are going to be dealing with for the most part, I would suggest to you a 360 PRO. If you are only going to be dealing with small logs (less than 20" in diameter) then a 260 PRO should be fine. However if the people you get the wood from are going to drop off big suckers on a fairly regular basis I would recommend something more along the lines of a 440 magnum, or a 460 magnum.
  4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I grew up in Wyoming (in the mountains) and spent more than my fair share of time cutting fire wood. During that time I was exposed to quite a few different makes and models of saws. What it always came down to was Husqvarna or Stihl. Nobody does it better than those two.

I was able to find a Husqvarna 55 Rancher w/ 20" bar on ebay. Only paid $200+$25 s/h. It cuts like a dream. I was looking the buy the same saw at Lowe's, but the lowest they would go was $425+tax. The only difference I could find was mine was used twice.

Good luck on your search. If you go to ebay don't buy from anybody with bad feedback.
  5. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Work its got the idea.
    Get your self a Husky 55 and you wont look back. You want somthing thats going to do the job in a few different applications and the 55 is the way to go . And you Know your buying a good saw when its Huskvarna. I wouldn't buy any of their other equipment (mabey the stump grinder) except for there saws.
    Bloody good saws mate!
  6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I am a huge fan of the Husqvarna chainsaws. I would highly recommend you check into them. I would also recommend that you check out Think about taking a safety course as you can really hurt yourself with a chainsaw.

7. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

8. jbrink01

jbrink01 LawnSite Member

Never had a Husky, but have had a Stihl 029 Farm Boss for 6 or 7 years - Love it! But then again I grew up on a farm fightin' with old Homelite's....
  9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Rkbrown, that was a great catch. Sorry for providing the incorrect link.

10. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

I sell firewood and I use a Husky 372xp. That saw has power to spare and will increase your cutting time. Get a 20" bar and you should be fine. I have cut up some big suckers, over 24"dia, and never had a problem. My brother in law is a logger and all the local guys use Husky, mostly 372's. They will cost you around $550, but it is much faster than a rancher 55 or comparible size saw. I have not put a dime into my saw in the 3 years I have had it. Just my opinion.