Best chainsaw sharpener

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Fishin LCO, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Fishin LCO

Fishin LCO LawnSite Member
    from NC

Can anybody tell a good dedicated chainsaw sharpener for under $175? What do you use? Do you like it?
  2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I sharpen on site so I have a Stihl 12 Volt sharpener. This thing works great!
  3. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

Back in my golf course days I had an Oregon bench mounted 120v power sharpener. It worked good. Buy a few chains and keep them on your truck and sharpen when you're bored. Now that I'm footing the bills I decided to go cheap. Oregon sells a portable file setup. It mounts to the bar and sells for about $15. It works good. You can do a chain in about ten minutes.
  4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I like just a plain file. what else do you need except for the rakers.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have a sharpener kit that is essentially a jig for the Dremel. For the field, I have a jig for a chain file. This is just for touching up, basically. I don't get enough use out of the saws to really justify the need. they stay sharp just by sharpening them at the shop.
  6. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

I really like a plain old chain saw file in a Stihl "File Guide", as shown here (look for "File Guide", not the filing tools that clamp to the bar):

With minimal practice you can get a perfect chain in about 5 minutes flat. I clamp the bar in the vice when I am sharpening in the shop. In the field I cut a slot in a log to set the bar in while I file.

The guide has the correct angles etched into it for easy reference when filing.

2-5 strokes per tooth is all it takes for a perfect edge, provided you have not been cutting dirt for weeks without attending to the chain.

One of the keys to doing a bang-up job filing is a good file. Throw out the worn out files and get new ones!!!

7. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

thats what i use runner it works just fine
  8. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC LawnSite Member

I pay to have chains sharpened and then touch them up as needed with a file.
    I have chains for hard and soft wood.
    I really like it that way. It doesnt cost me a small fortune, and i dont have to figure out angles for different wood.
    I just tell the dealer what that chain, will be used for.
  9. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

a file.... 2 bucks there are marks on the chain that will tell you your angle
  10. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I know this is off the topic a little, but I can remember my dad useing a file when I was little. We had a fire place as many did. He still cutting wood after all these yrs. I've help him many many times and the saw aways cuts like butter!!