Best Cheap-o trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A1 Grass, Nov 3, 2003.

1. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone had any good luck with the cheaper model trimmers?
    (Especially the split-boom models?)

I've heard the lecture on commercial equipment - (After 1 year my Craftsman blowers are still kickin butt.)

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a weedeater I had for a couple of years and it worked good. I would also suggest a homelite

3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Had a Homelite trimmer for my first several years. Damned thing just wouldn't die. Still have it in my building. Still starts first second pull.

4. mh1314

mh1314 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Homelite straight shaft....about $100.00 at HD. After the spool wears out convert to a better bump head...I'll second it they don't die 25cc.

5. Kingbman1

Kingbman1 LawnSite Member

Ive had a featherlite weadeater for 5 years, still runs like new, I would go with something a little more powerful, theres a toro straight shaft at hd for i believe $160

6. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Im in agreement with the Homelites as some of the best bang for the residential consumer dollar.

7. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Do they make a split-boom straight shaft model? I'd like to try the hedge trimming attachment for light jobs.

8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Apparently not a hedge trimmer ,,, it wasnt listed with their quik-tatch units

9. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Got to agree Homelite has the best bang for the buck. Bought one 5 years ago before getting in the business, never changed a plug or anything and it starts on the second pull everytime. Gave it to my brother in law last year and it's still running strong. Cost me under $70 new at Home Cheapo.