Best cheap ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tinkerer, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

Getting tired of tinkering with my old Groundsmasters, I'm thinking of buying a new ZTR. My credit is not that great and neither is my income. I've looked at the little Hustler 42" Z with Honda V twin for $4,000. It would be a bit smaller than the 52" deck I run now but I probably would use an offset pull type mower a lot as I only mow bigger lawns. I don't want to buy a residential piece of junk as I probably put 500 hours on my mower a year. Suggestions, ideas?

2. LHSlawnman86

LHSlawnman86 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

*****lesco*****

3. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

get a walkbehind for a tight budget

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

used bargins on Ebay this fall......

5. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut LawnSite Member

check them out on the web. they are made by hustler. i almost bought one before buying my Lazer Z. I was looking at the land pride razor, 52" with a 18hp Honda for around $5000. It was well made and had a fabricated deck and deck lift, cup holder standard. check them out.

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I think envy bought a 60 inch 23 hp lesco Z 2 for like 6200 and seems to like it. Sounds like alot of bang for your buck. If you want a big commercial machine without the price tag you should be looking for a used one.

7. lok33

lok33 LawnSite Member

I've got a 44" Exmark HP 20hp kohler for sell $4500, I wouldn't consider this cheap a cheap mower though

8. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Check with your dealer for trade-ins.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yes I did buy a 60" Lesco Z Two, but with a 25hp Kawasaki.
    Yes, it is a lot of bang for the buck.

However, over on Lesco's forum here, I dug up an old thread and voiced the fact that I am rather disgruntled now. The reason being for that is I received a good deal of mis-information from several sources. Some may recall that I wanted a 'wide track' version with the 60" deck with Generac engine... reserved one at GIE, then was told multiple times this was not a Lesco option. Only 25hp Kawasaki 60" with standard rear track. So I bought the standard 25/60 only to find out a short time later that the machine is in fact available in a WideTrack 60" with a 28hp Generac for less than what I paid.

I found it listed here for $5,749 while checking for acessories on-line.
    http://www.lesco.com/?PageID=27&ItemNumber=709929

That's a BIG bang for the buck and what I would have bought without question.

Now, I don't mean to seem like a big cry baby... but I was mis-informed. So I drove 80 miles one way to do business with Lesco and bought the 25/60 when I could have gotten the other options I wanted at a local Cub Commercial dealer. Plus I paid more for a lesser machine when I could have gotten what I wanted through Lesco to begin with. Here in the mountains of North Carolina I could have used the wide track and the 28hp Generac would have came in handy while running the mulch kit, ect.

So anyways, now that I am done ranting, I'll say this. For $5,749 I'd go with the Lesco Z Two Wide Track 60" with the 28hp Generac without question. The machines seem to be very well built and the service after the sale has been great.

10. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

Does anybody have pics of the Lescos?