Best chemical for bare ground control?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ddthomas2, Sep 8, 2004.

1. ddthomas2

ddthomas2 LawnSite Member

First, I am in the lawncare business, and while I have studied sufficiently to pass the applicators exam in Louisiana, I do not wish to assume the liability associated with application at this time.

That said, a client asked for a recommendation on chemicals that they could legally purchase and apply to eliminate weeds from a gravel parking area. I told them that I had no experience in this area, but I would ask the professionals. Any suggestions? Yes, I know that calling a professional applicator is the best option. Told them so. I would still like to answer the direct question.

Your help is appreciated.

2. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

There are quite a few chemicals available to those who have a license which will do the job. Many of these same chemicals are available to home owners in a diluted form from such places as Lowes, Home Depot, Agway,.... A very common chemical is Round Up or one of its variations. You can also kill existing weeds simply by spraying them with vinegar. Keep in mind, that if you do purchase any chemical, you are legally bound to follow label directions.

3. ddthomas2

ddthomas2 LawnSite Member

I should have been more specific. He is looking for something that would have a residual sterilization of the soil as opposed to Round-up which would only kill plants contacted and actively growing at the time of application.

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Pramitol.........

Hamons likes this.
  5. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Sahara........

6. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

Saharah.......................Works great for me

7. Rtom45

I may be wrong, but I don't think you can buy Sahara in a home owner formulation. Keep in mind, the owner wants to do this work himself.

8. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Ortho
    GroundClear Vegetation Killer kills weeds and grasses and prevents new growth for up to one year. Use on driveways, patios, walks and fence rows. Can be applied with a tank sprayer. Formerly known as Triox.

9. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

Any person can buy chemicals. Home owner or professional but their is a catch you can buy but you can not apply technically. I have a license in Ohio for aquatics, industrial vegetation, plus general use I believe is the category for commercial not sure. Now I also have one for agricultural use for my 70 acer farm. so he can buy and use what ever he wants just follow the label and you will be fine. Epa only goes after commercial users anyways. Cause they want your money. Round-up with 1 oz. of surflan per gallon in a hand sprayer will control growth for roughly 8 months. Or go to local hardware store and buy that grass and weed killer that prevents growth for 3 months. Can't think of the name. But watch it moves through the soil rapidly which it shouldn't since it is for all to use. Something with a P maybe paramitol.

10. Rtom45

Drew Gemma
    I don't know about Ohio, but in PA. you are not allowed to purchase, and the dealer is not allowed to sell, restricted chemicals without certification. Round Up, for example is sold in stores to home owners in a diluted form. The same is true of many other chemicals.