1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Clothing to Beat the Heat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John_99_2007, Aug 9, 2007.

1. John_99_2007

John_99_2007 LawnSite Member

Like to hear all your best ideas on your favorite clothing and cooling techniques.

Shorts and tee shirt or all covered up?
  2. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

3. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Being naked!
  4. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

and charge the client more for that service :waving: :laugh:
  5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I just turn the A/C up in the office
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I used to work shirtless but the quality of my customers has gotten better and my prices today are such I just can't do the redneck thing anymore... But over the years I found nothing beats white, the color white absorbs the least heat from the rays of the sun and every other color is HOT in comparison (except maybe faded jeans, and very light colors).

So first a white t-shirt always, it can be an undershirt, that's what I wear because they're cheap (like $2 each new), they're cool, plain (no logos or writing of any kind) and it looks good. Once they're well worn and torn they convert into decent rags for maintenance purposes.

The other thing is the truck, if you can find a white truck get it LOL. My first truck was white, it's mostly a matter of coincidence or luck since I buy mine used, but that was the coolest staying cab I ever rode in... It had no a/c so cold it wasn't, but it was cooler inside after it'd been sitting than any other color car or truck I've ever had. My 2nd truck was red and no a/c, I noticed the HEAT right away, no comparison, red soaks up heat almost as bad as black, no kidding. My current truck is a 2-tone but the upper ends are a dark green, even with a/c this is yet another HOT joker, I saw it coming by the time the temps were hitting 80...

Parking in the shade helps, also I like to crack both front windows open a good 4 inches each side so it doesn't boil up inside like an oven. Another thing that helps is those windshield cover things people use to cover up along the inside... What it does is keeps the sun off the dashboard, the deflector still gets hot but the dash stays cooler and I found in summer the dashboard absorbs heat like a dutch oven (and it holds heat for a long time)... Forget what they're called, but like an umbrella of sorts it folds out all alongside the interior of the windshield, it does help (even if it looks kinda silly).

By the time it was 80f this year I got so tired of it, I said to myself this heat is bs, I am not dealing with it. So I got some masking tape and newspaper and three $1 spray paint cans of white at the dollar store, and painted the top of my truck white! This makes a noticeable difference, the edge is off when I first get inside, and the a/c is able to keep up even on 100f days, whereas before it stayed hot...

Here's 2 pics I just took, not the best thing to do if the truck is new but mine isn't:

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

That paint job dont look bad. Its a good idea. I wouldnt want to wear white shirts though because in this heat, with all the sweat it would look filthy in no time at all.
  8. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I would like to hear ideas of types of clothing.

I've heard people talk of certain high quality cloths that wick away moisture etc.

My thoughts exactly, and I'm tired of white trucks too, they're way too common. I used to have a white van, now I have a green truck that looks blue at night and a red truck. Red truck, red lawn mowers and red shirt... I almost look like a real company, lol.

I also wouldn't want light grey shirts like in that other thread with the guy who got logos on all gray shirts. Everyone was saying how nice they are but I went window cleaning about a month ago in HOT weather and in a gray shirt and well let's just say you can tell I was sweating like a Pig. Everyone kept offering me bottles of water. I kept saying, no it's ok I got a jug in the truck. I was thinking how nice these people were but then the thought hit me that they were worried about me because of how wet my shirt was. light gray gets very dark when wet. Super noticeable.
  9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

my tip is instead of t shirts -wear mens dress shirts in light colors. the lighter the fabric the better. much cooler than a t shirt. you will look more proffesional at the same time.
  10. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

That's a good tip. Have you ever tried those blue work shirts in the heat?