Best Commercial 21 Inch Mulcher?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rjprice, Oct 30, 2006.

1. rjprice

rjprice LawnSite Member

I need a 21 inch walk-behind to use mostly for mulching thick Zoysia grass (14K sf). Must be self-propelled. Which is the better mulcher: Honda HRC Hydro or Toro Proline 21? Anything else I should consider?

2. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally we dont buy commercial 21's, in my opinion there a waste of money. I can buy 2-3 toro or honda residential mowers for the price of one commercial 21. Just my .02 cents but do what you want

3. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I use a 21" Proline, I like it a lot. I have a friend that uses commercial Honda 21"s and he swears by them. I don't think you can go wrong with either. IMO, if you plan to use it more than a few times a week, then I wouldn't waste money on a homeowner mower. My proline is going strong into it's 7th season next year. No homeowner mower can do that. If homeowner mowers work for TNT, that's good for him, but I learned the hard way: always buy commercial, you won't regret it.

4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have several Toro Proline Commercial 21's the oldest is 8yrs still used daily. We mainly bag Bermuda and Zoysia with them but they mulch good also.

5. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

i use a 21" honda commercial hydro. i mulch all my yards, it mulches great as long as its not to long of grass. i dont cut any zoysia grass though, sorry about that. ive heard that the toro is a great mower also. i dont think you could go wrong with either one.