Best Commercial String Trimmer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by inline lawn care, Aug 29, 2007.

1. inline lawn care

inline lawn care LawnSite Member

I'm Trying To Decide Between Stihl And Redmax Commercial Trimmers.
    Which Model Do You Think Is The Best Concerning Features, Durability, Quality And Price? I Want To Use This Trimmer For Edging As Well. Thanks!!!

2. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

how much power do u want? Do you run them with the guards on or off? I have a redmax 3000 and its a great trimmer its light and just sips fuel. The only draw back is it takes a while to warm up and reach full power. I also have a stihl 85 and 250 which i like as well. I think the stihls feel a little more stable but they don't sip gas like the redmax. I would Just get something with at least a 30cc engine.

3. inline lawn care

inline lawn care LawnSite Member

My Business Is Growing And Right Now I'm Using A Ryobi 16" 30cc. I Would Like Something Longer So That I Can Use It For Trimming And Edging. Thanks!!

4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Both are great brands. Have you looked at Shindaiwa and Echo? All are commercial brands, (Stihl, Redmax, Shindaiwa and Echo) just comes down to preference, power and cost.

5. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using a Stihl KM85R for the past three years and can't complain one bit about it. I believe the KM110 is what replaced it. The one I bought was the combi-tool version and the only complaint I have, is the wingnut jobbie that you use to tighten down the adapter stripped out. But that took until this year for that to happen. Also, the spark arrestor clogged on me. But I consider that my fault for not using Stihl for the past season.

Power wise it is a 29cc engine. But it blows the 31cc Ryobi I used before it, clear out of the water.

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

First off, the cc's of an engine doesnt always dictate power in a trimmer. A 23cc echo can put out just as much if not more than a 30cc ryobi. Now as for the BEST commercial trimmer, there really isnt one that stands out, they all perform well and do the job they are supposed to. Now here comes my personal opinion. Stihl 4-mix's they are new and they perform well. Solid trimmers with lots of power to spare. No major problems with them yet currently running FS130 and FC100 one is my trimmer the other my edger and they both have done really well.

7. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

stihl in general but try the fs80r powerful and mostly light weight

8. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

To put my 2 cents in: I was happy with Echos but I hear they now have plastic carbs? Can anyone comment on that? Also I liked my Shindaiwa 27 cc and the guy I worked for before when I was out of work seemed to prefer Stihl (FS-80 I think) and I trust his experience.

Kevin

9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I switched to Stihl for a reason - durability and power.
    All of my crews hand equipment is Stihl, over twenty five pieces of equipment - thirteen of which are the 4-Mix FS-100R trimmers with the Edgit discs.
    Of the remaining pieces, 7 are the 4-Mix powered blowers.
    The remaining non 4-Mix powered units are being phased out, by March '08 everything will be the 4-Mix power plant.

10. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I run primarily RedMax because they are a quality commercial product and I have excellent dealer support.

Consider dealer support as a huge factor in your decision.