best commercial ztr for residential use for @5k

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by bunzi, Jul 7, 2005.

1. bunzi

bunzi LawnSite Member

I am going to buy a commercial ztr for home use (who knows maybe my 14 yr old son will get ambitious and cut a few neighbor's yards). I have poured through countless threads and have asked numerous landscapers opinions, and have narrowed it down (I think) to 48 inch Exmark CT, 48 inch Ferris IS1500, 48 inch Toro Z400, or a Hustler (forget the model and deck size that was in this range). I would appreciate any and all points to consider as well as any areas you feel each is strong or weak in. Finally if it were your money and you were buying for my purpose, what would you get?

Thanks

2. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

take the 5 grand and hire a professional.

3. bunzi

bunzi LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice...i had never thought of that. Anybody else here not a comedian like funny-boy here?

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Bunzi, two things to consider. First, demo all the mowers mentioned and pick the one you like. Second, dealer support, if you dont have this I dont care what kind of mower you have. With that being said, of the mowers you mentioned I would look real hard at the Hustler. I have heard alot of rave reviews about them.

5. bunzi

bunzi LawnSite Member

Thanks Quality.
    The Toro dealer is no more than 3 miles from my home. The emark and ferris is about 30 miles and I have not located a Hustler dealer yet, but suspect there will be one at about the same distance as the exmark and ferris. Do you know if there is a Hustler in that range with about a 48 nch deck?

thanks again

6. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Dealer support find a dealer you like,ask yourself what is ever1else running what brand.

7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

To be honest, I have never priced any Husters. However, there has been alot of discussion on here about it. Use the searh feature at the top of the page and get ready for hours of reading on Hustlers. I personally like Deere myself. Their cheapest commercial is the 717 and it is around 5800 to 5900 last time I priced and I liked mine big time! Our toro dealer is so horrible I will not even go in his shop. I think their cheapest commercial is around 6100 (or here anyway) That is one with a 44 inch deck and a 17 Kaw.

8. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

bunzi,Do you want a "commercial" machine or a "homeowner" commercial?

I'll give you an example. eXmark LCT4818BV
    Lazer Z CT with a 48" deck and an 18HP Briggs&Stratton Vanguard Engine.

LHP4819KA,LHP4820KC or LHP4823KA

The above are Lazer Z HP's all with a 48" deck and HP ratings from 19 to 23 in Kohler and Kawasaki V twin's

Can you see the difference?

I know you will see it in the price but the extra HP and overall better build of the HP's would be worth the extra $$$$$ put out.

Rob

9. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Home owner it will probally have less than 100hrs per year.

10. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

You have a good point but, some home owners still want the best for their yards.