Best Commercial ZTR Mower for Hilly Terrain & Why?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MAXWELTON, Oct 16, 2007.

1. MAXWELTON

MAXWELTON LawnSite Member

I am looking for advice on what is the best commercial ztr mower for hilly terrain. Its deck needs to swivel in order to reduce scalping. In addition, it needs to be able to pull a fully loaded Trac Vac model 880. Quality construction, low and easy maintenance, and good warranties are important.

Please give me an idea of price for the mower in question.

Thank you!

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Any hilly area's the Scag Turf Tiger would be hard to beat. It has a very wide stance and a very low center of gravity. Very wide range of engine options up to 35 hp. Scalping hasn't been a problem for me but the swivel deck I don't know about that. I'm also not familiar with the track vac. So I'm sure others know a lot more about this.

3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

super z is great on hills, but if you are pulling a trac-vac you need v-treads, those things get heavy. good luck.

4. The Cutting Edge Lawn Car

The Cutting Edge Lawn Car LawnSite Member

I agree with David, A super Z in my opinion rides the best of all the new ZTR's.. The flex forks make a huge difference on the ride especially on mowing hills and ditches... Def. take a look at Hustler

5. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

Generally speaking, for hills you need torque. Look for Large displacement pumps paired with large displacement wheel motors.

Look at the Hustler ATZ. It's purpose built for hills. Big pumps and wheel motors. Also, a full cage just in case.

http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com/Web-content/ProductPages/ATZ/ATZPage/ATZPage.html

Not sure what you mean by "deck needs to swivel" but Lastec puts articulated decks under their Z's

http://www.lastec.com/comm.aspx

Hope you find the right machine. There's a bunch out there.

Q

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I cant recommend a Super Z for pulling anything, not enough torque. They are great on hills as far as holding but the Super Z with the high ground speed gives up some torque. The regular Z would pull better but I don't think it has a hydraulic cooler on it. The Hustler ATZ is made for very steep mowing and slopes. Ask Gene how many wheel motors he has burned up trying to pull a bagger with a Hustler Super Z. The ATZ has more torque with the wheel motors. If you could get a hydraulic cooler on a regular Hustler Z that might work. The Huslters do ride better but you can't use the flex forks with a bagger and they may cause you problems pulling a load. Not sure, ask PJ (mowerconsultant) on the Huslter forum. He is an honest dude.

I still recomend Scag Turf Tiger for all the reasons I listed in the first post.

7. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

country clipper hands down! The charger is the best I have ever been on with hills. the Boss has the heavier driveline for pulling loads.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

In this case I would also recommend Country Clipper as well.

Good on hills AND it has a swiveling/articulating deck.

I have found the Country Clipper and Cub Tank / Lesco Ztwo to both be the best I've tried on slopes. I'd like to have a Country Clipper on my trailer for a week to settle in my mind which one is really better.

9. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

the convertible made by rich mfg. now sold by dr power at a great low price and great 4 year extended warranty will do what you need.

10. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Bronze Member

The Country Clipper models mentioned earlier have a pivoting front axle and the mower deck is Front hung on the axle. Its the same type design that the EverRide Warrior uses. The Lastec Mower deck articulates common to both outer blade deck locations and the center section of deck floats up or down. In other words, the Lastec deck is a 3 pc deck design with the 2 outer decks articulating up and down, independent of each other. The Country Clipper deck is a one piece deck that follows the Front axle. I have a Lastec and It will hold the Pond bank levees and road embankments and ditches pretty well. I DON'T know if it will hold a hillside as well as any of the above mentioned mowers or not, but I do think it will scalp less than any of the above mentioned mowers.