best compact excavator

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by corey1977, May 27, 2007.

1. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

Hello im thinking about buying a compact excavator in the 10000 pound range what do you guys think the best machine on the market is?
  2. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

Q: zero tail or tail swing???

3. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Kubota and Takeuchi are the strongest.
  4. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

I was looking for zero tail swing
  5. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I like the Takehoochi myself.......I would also ask who is the closest as far as service would go and what have you heard about the service departments for either Kubota or Takeuchi?
  6. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

I like the deeres

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

They're all good, I really don't look at bucket breakout and crowd force, who really cares that much? Ease of operation, maintenance, and overall features are what I look for along with dealer support. However, if the machine is an absolute dog, it's best to pass it by, but that just isn't the case with the minis these days.
  8. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Only if you use the machine too dig.

How many 10k machines can pull a 36 inch bucket and dig effectivley with it?
    The Takeuchi can.
    The Cat 305 could not.

So if you are putting in septic chambers that require a 36 inch trench then breakout and crowd force are important.

People consistently pay more for less machine and are happy about it.

The Takeuchi machines do not have the aux flow like the JD ex's do
    so if running a brushcutter is a primary requirment you have too pay attention too that.

I really like Komatsu machines as well.
    They do not have the digging power the Takeuchi does but they have very good controls.

What will you use the machine for?
  9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

My opinions are much like AWJ. Crowd force and breakout are very important numbers to me. I put less emphasis on other things. The TK machines are very powerful for their size.

The Deere/Hitachi machines make good Aux. flow and I can see why Minimax likes them as he runs a cutter head.

I like running the CASE/Kobelco machine although it does not spec. like the TK machines do.

Komatsu makes a nice machine but much like the Deere and CASE machines don't spec as well as others in the same weight class.

It all comes down to matching a machine to what you want to do with it. Example is with Minimax and his Deere. Flinging dirt is not probably the Deeres best attribute but it is on the best specing machines for aux. flow so using a cutter head takes advantage of the Deeres strong suit.

Numbers don't tell the full story so it is important to spend some time with a short list of machines and see which you like the best.
  10. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I been looking at several different brands of these and even though I don't have the experience most of these people on here have, all have made good points. What size bucket are you going to use, what type of work will it be doing, how long you plan to keep it (resale), can you get parts quick and easy, do you like the controls, how easy is it to service, how far from home do you plan to use it (back to dealer support and parts). I would go for the major players myself with close support for not only where you live but also where you may be working. Some times a brand that is not so much noticed such as Takeuchi may have the better or best product but the dealer support may rule them out. That would be the situation around here. I looked at there CTL machines and mini excavators a while back that an excavator was using and liked them very well.