Best Controller for 6 zone system

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by MSLandscaping, Aug 17, 2005.

1. MSLandscaping

MSLandscaping LawnSite Member

I have been in the process of installing a 6 zone system in my own home for my first try at irrigation. What is the best zone controller for my needs. I want something that will last and can be programmed easily?
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Rainbird ESP-Modular
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I would use a Hunter SRC-600i six-zone controller. It gives you the essential programming options, and a few frills besides. Hunter also makes a no-frills EC-600i six zone controller. Rainbird fans would tout a ESP-6TM as a good entry-level controller. Either would do well.
  4. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have a lot of experience with different models or brands, but I am very happy with my Hunter Pro-C. You would have to add in one three zone module, but you would also have room to grow if you change things later. The programming is dead simple and it has lots of features to allow you to customize when and how you water.
  5. Rotor-Man

Rotor-Man LawnSite Member

I use the Hunter SRC 600 also, end user friendly, and very simple to program, and also the homeowner can activate the system with one touch of a button to cycle thru the program, which they naturally all want to do!
  6. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Anybody want to guess.............roflmao

Irritrol Kwikdial. You won't beat the price, features, or ease of use. List for the indoor six station is right at $100. 3 programs, rain off, interval watering, seasonal adjustment, etc. 3 year warranty.

If price isn't as much an issue, and your an average or better with programing, Rain Dial. 5 year unconditional warranty plus all the whistles and bells, AND yes unconditional means lightning too.
  7. Dirty Water

When is the next irritrol share holders meeting? :D
  8. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

What's list on an ESP-mod? and will it allow true interval or only the RB standard 3 5 or 7?
  9. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

If money is not an object and you are just looking for something to turn the sprinkler system on at a set time and on certain days, no fancy bells and whistles, then a Superior 906-60 will fit the bill. Those things last forever. They are the old-style electro-mechanical controllers. Easy to repair - motors in and out in a couple minutes.

If you want to spend considerably less and have the multifuntional hybrid capabilities then I'm right there with bic - the Irritrol Kwikdial is easy to use and has about as many features as you'd ever want and they have been serving me well for the last 3 yrs or so.

Jon - I like those Irritrol controllers - Kwikdial, Total Control, and the Dial Series for large commercial projects. Even use the valves. But I just can't bring myself to use those CR rotors. (chuckle)
  10. Dirty Water

I still haven't seen a CR rotor. I'm waiting for Bryan to mail me one.

I really like the Raindial and Total Control, but I still think the ESP-M's are easier for my mostly senior client's to understand.

Bryan: ESP-M Outdoors list for $99.95. Thats for 4 zones, to expand it to 6, you need one module, which lists for $22.

Considering it gives the room to grow up to 13, its really not a bad deal considering the ESP-LX 12 station is $192.

On a side note, has anyone ran into the ESP-MC-40? One of the commercial accounts we recently acquired for maintenance has one. Its only using 12 of the 40 zones too. With a list of $1400, thats a total waste.