Best copier/fax/printer/scanner??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Lawnworks, May 23, 2005.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I just spent $200 on a Brother machine that prints about 20 ppm, but I just noticed it wasn't a laser printer. I am going to need to print about 130-170 invoices plus 50-100 or so statements a month this year. What do yall think I need? laser or not?

2. RayoVac

RayoVac LawnSite Member

Lawnworks,

Since you guys that make a living as LCOs and help out us Homeowners... Let a homeowner who makes his living in computers help ya out.

First off... I really dislike "All-in-one" products. You always have to sacrifice somewhere... If you need to print buy a printer. If you want to fax, buy a fax machine. If you want to scan... get a flatbed scanner.

The purpose built equipment will server you better in the long run. Now if you rarely do any of the above and don't mind sacrificing quality, speed, durability but want all the options then sure an All-In-One will be fine. I prefer the HP OfficeJet series for that task.

For what you are describing... I would not want to prepare invoicing and statements in that quantity on an AIO (all in one) ink jet based machine. YES!!! Get a LaserJet. Again... I have always been partial to HP printers... but there are lots of options for low priced Laser Jets out there. Save your AIO for the scanning, faxing, color ink jet printing and let a new LaserJet take care of your serious business work.

Let me know if you want more details, model recommendations etc. I would be happy to assist.

Also note... your cost of consumables (toner vs. inkjet cartridges) will typically be lower with a LaserJet doing Black and White printing for the quantities you are thinking.

Rayo

3. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Samsung CLP500. Color laser, full duplex, very nice.

I think it might have been replaced with the CLP510.

I added a Canon CanoScan 300ex scanner for $50.

I can send faxes, make photocopies, print in color or black and white, etc. I love this setup.

Once or twice a year, I need to receive a fax. I just have it sent to my wife's office.

4. pagefault

I agree with the all-in-one assessment. It has been a long time since I worked on one, but I used to troubleshoot that kind of stuff for a living. Sound card/modem combinations, scanner/printer combos, etc.

They may have gotten better, but you really don't save any money over selecting components and when you select individual components, you get exactly what you need.

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Thanks for the input guys. I guess my main concerns are I need to fax frequently and I need to print alot of black and white, but I do need color. Will the ink cartridges for an ink jet eat me alive?

6. pagefault

Ink was eating me alive, that's one of the reasons I switched. Plus it was just a pain to replace the cartridges all the time.

I get about 5000 black and white pages from one toner cartridge ($90) and I use a lot less paper because I'm printing front and back for most of my stuff.

Color is nice for door hangers or for adding a color logo to my invoices and quotes.

7. RayoVac

RayoVac LawnSite Member

Also note that if you want color for you invoices, letterhead etc. It is WAY cheaper to have 5000 or 10000 at a time printed at kinkos or your local printing company. Then just use those pre-printed forms in your LaserJet.

Since it sounds as if you already have an AIO for your faxing and scanning... you can also use it for your small color printing tasks. Leave the big color tasks to Kinkos... it will be cheaper!

Get yourself a LaserJet to handle the Invoicing and Statements.

Raymond

8. pagefault

I can use my laser to print my logo in color on invoices for under a penny a page (plus paper).

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

since my other job is computer graphics, all in one machine, is alot like a multi attachment trimmer, not going to last, at ink jet is very expensice on ink get a fax machine, lazer printer, and a scanner....

10. RayoVac

RayoVac LawnSite Member

Agreed... if he spends the extra $$$ for a color laser this is certainly an option to print a small color logo. But even a Penny a page is expensive when you talk quantity, a printing house can generally shave that cost... but not near as convenient as doing it yourself.

Annnd nothing like printing up 5000 letterhead, then change an address, phone number etc. :cry: