Best Core-plug Aerator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Strawbridge Lawn, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Good Evening all. It has been a while since I have been here, and wow have things changed. Pretty awesome. Did a quick search on aeration, but did not find anything regarding makes and models. I have a tow-behind, but that is for the open spaces. Sooo, While I ponder at the Bluebird and Ryan models, who can tell which one they prefer, or maybe some other.
    Thanks.
    Gary
    Strawbridge Lawn and Landscape

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

3. Strawbridge Lawn

Thanks Eric. That Classen walk nehind model (picture) I will research some more on. Need something in the next 2-3 weeks as the season gears up here in SE VA.

Gary

4. Eric ELM

If you have a Lesco around you, they handle Classen. I'm not sure on how the prices are in comparison. As long as your checking them out, let us know. ;)

5. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

Gary, We use the Ryan LA28's and the Ryan Lawnaire V. We also use the Gravely Pro-Aire 27. Ryan makes great machines. My advice is spend the extra money and get with Honda engines. The Gravely is a good machine but think Ryan would be a better choice. The bluebird makes a good machine too. The Ryan Lawnaire IV or V or the Bluebird would be a good rugged machine to get started with. The Classen looks very similar to these machines. The tow behinds are great for large areas but we find the walk-behinds do a far better job and looks more professional. The tow behinds just have that "Harry Homeowner" look. But they are very affordable. This maybe a good place to start. Hope this helps. Be preparred to spend some money.

6. Strawbridge Lawn

Thanks Lawn Dog. Lookin for a walk-behind that is affordable,efficient and reliable. Anything above 3K is to expensive for me tight now. Will look into some info on the Classen.

7. Eric ELM

I looked at the steerable Classen built split drive yesterday at Lesco. It looks like a great unit and it is $2999 at our local Lesco.

I didn't try it, but the dealer had and said it is a easy to operate machine. If I was buying a w/b, this one would be my choice. I know their pull behind works great and it is almost over built. I can't see how that frame could ever break. Maybe if a bull dozer was dropped on it, it might break. ;)

8. Dochere

Dochere LawnSite Member

I played with the steerable Classen yesterday, and was impressed. Lesco has a sale going on right now on aerators. Some great deals.

9. BadAndy

BadAndy LawnSite Member

anyone know what Lesco sells their tow-behind aerators for?

10. Eric ELM

My model 48 was $1250 2 years ago, I heard the 60" is around $1700