Best Course?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by guntruck, May 27, 2001.

1. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, im looking into some witner classes at college now for the winter. I am very very interested in learning some about landscape design and install. I am not looking for a degree or anything just some good solid basics and some really good knowledge so i can do some "light" landscaping. Do any of you have any recomendations of what courses i may take, or what courses have helped you? Which ones might be good for what im looking for? Im going to do this either way i just figured that someone can help with a little direction thanks!!!!!!!

2. neighborguy

neighborguy LawnSite Member

I actually just finished up a two year degree in Landscape/Horticulture (with emphasis in design/build) at my local tech school. We had classes that ranged from basic plant id to hands on construction classes. There were no classes that offered instruction on planting but there were three on design.

For doing some "light landscaping" I would suggest a class that we had called "construction fundamentals". This class went over the general knowledge needed to build patios, retaining walls, fences, and even small ponds. If there is the availability of a night class, I would sign up for that one. At night classes you find others in the industry that have more hands on experience and can bring additional information and tips to the class.

3. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

Night classes are a good recommendation. In your area, does your school offer Adult Basic Education? These are usually classes taught by people working in the field and cover areas of general interest - such as you're talking about. Usually very low cost and have a lot of excellent "real-world" advise. (Doesn't grant college credit, though :( )

4. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

I would recomend plant ID and practicle horticulture, to beging with. These classes will teach you why plants need certain conditions ie. light, shade, soils, ect. and how to identify these plants in a landscape enviornment.

The main mistake I see " professional landscapers " make is one of culture, Junipers planted under shade trees and Rhodos in clay are just a few of the more popular ones.

As a third class, best taken after plant ID, would be pest ID.

Good Luck,
    Jim L

5. jkinchla

jkinchla LawnSite Member
    from MA

Definitely take the plant ID course and a lawn insect course (grubs, etc). Also, some pesticide classes will help a lot when dealing with customer questions. And take a marketing class, it will really help your business!