1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Customer Complaints!

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by carguyrob, Apr 29, 2010.

1. abraham

abraham LawnSite Member

i would pull up to her house on my off day in my porsche and inform her that my jaguar is in the shop and if she was so inclined to do so i would teach her kids about running a business.
  2. FiveOJoe

FiveOJoe LawnSite Member
    from NJ

"If you would aim the mower the other way you wouldn't have to charge me for blowing."
  3. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks a lot...that was very helpful. What type of equipment should I buy? How much is advertising? Its good to finally get someone with a little insight and a head for business on this site. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  4. abraham

abraham LawnSite Member

i bought an ariens zoom 34 after reading internet reviews it's easy to transport,maintain,cuts well,and gets into alot of tight spaces and backyards that bigger o turns can't pass through.trimmer is an echo pas230.i bught it because it has the ability to add 13 different attachments like a pole cutter and hedge trimmer this machine will save time and money as well as allow you to add extra attachments for various jobs which will make you more money.advertise in your local paper have it read yards starting at $15 that will get people to call and obviously when you give them an estimate if their yard is worth more you charge them accordingly i cut yards up to $70 from this ad it also doesnt hurt to add exrerienced references and insured shop around through american family insurance i pay $31 a month place flyers in supermarkets laundrymats pizza shops quickie marts and use the samse technique yards starting at $15 i have @ 60 accounts and only cut 4 lawns for $15 and tey are very small success is easy as long as your willing to work your ass off stay positive and don't give up
  5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks a lot. I'm gonna look into an ariens zoom. Thats a good idea to say lawns starting at $15. Then when you get there you give them the real price. Im gonna stay positive.:waving::drinkup:
  6. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

"I don't feel comfortable with you pruning with me or my husband not at home. What happens if you fall off the ladder. I don't even know if you have insurance."

"I understand. If I pulled up with a lettered truck, and 2 employees, and if my name was in the phone book, would you feel differently?"

"Yes, because they have more experience."

"Go ahead and give them a call then."
  7. GrassIsGreenerLawnCare

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

screw her. that means she pretty much called u because she thought she could get u for cheaper than a "company in the yellow pages!" haha whata joke. the yellow pages are a ripoff and nobody even uses them anymore. they just go online. i pay $2.99 a month to be advertised thru 100 different search engines including google+yahoo. my name pops up from anyone searching locally for a lanscaper. My advice would be to get rid of this customer. she obviously doesnt have the confidence in u or the respect u deserve.
  8. cozymonkey

cozymonkey LawnSite Member

things I have heard just this year

I am hiring you because my last company left the gate open and my dog got out, then he drowned in the pond down the street:confused:

I had a lady tell me after I trimmed her bushes that they looked like poodles and that if she had wanted her bushes to look like poodles she would have called a mobile pet groomer and to never cut them that way again :confused:

the best one yet this year is I had a lady fire me because I was mowing too soon after her sprinklers watered and we were "stealing/bagging up all the water she had just paid for to water her lawn" Therefore I was really just making it more expensive to water the lawn. Old ladys crack me up :confused:
  9. DJJS

DJJS LawnSite Senior Member

I've had some pretty good ones my favorite has to be the guy who explained to me last year that we had to stop aerating because his kid thought the aerator was one of the monsters from transformers and was going to change into a robot and kill us all not as much a complaint as it is hilarious
  10. ROC lawn and landscapes

ROC lawn and landscapes LawnSite Member

who do you go to for 3 bucks a month advertising on the net? how well does it work for you?