1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Customer Complaints!

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by carguyrob, Apr 29, 2010.

1. GreenShoesLC

GreenShoesLC LawnSite Member

Brand new sod is a whole lot more expensive than just paying you the $325 if you catch my drift..
  2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

a lady stopped me and told me to stop blowing her driveway off because my blower would start a tornado. same lady told me to be careful mowing her yard because it was in a 100 year flood plain.
  3. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

Haha, just what I was thinking, these threads are so fun!
  4. clean_cut

Hahahaha! That's funny

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i took a guy to court for non payment a few years ago, his exact quote to the judge was that even though he signed the contract i made to much per hour. he then told the judge that he feels that about a third would be acceptable as that would put me in line with what he makes per hour. he didnt account for the materials used or that i had myself plus another guy there. i think the judge had a hard time keeping a straight face as he tried to argue his point.
  6. MooseMan89

MooseMan89 LawnSite Member

That is just pitiful! I had a Russian lady with 0.9 acre lawn whom I quoted $80 for which included catching the grass and hedge trimming.. She asked how long would it take me to do it (me working alone)? I told her no more than 2 hours.
    She said WHAT!?? So you're making $40 per hour??? :O. I said well.. You have to count the gas it takes me to get here. Gas to run equipment, equipment wear and tear.. And then I'll end up with probably $30/hour or less. She said that's still waaay too much!!! I work for $10/hour! If you want, I can pay you no more than $30 for the job. $10 for gas and $20 for your labor.
    So I just laughed at her as I got in my truck and left.
  7. clean_cut

Pretty funny how people don't understand what it takes to run a business.

I think it would be a good idea to make a list of every expense you have as a business owner (phone, equipment, gas, schooling, etc.), show it to complaining custoemers and see if they still think the prices are high.
  8. bradseabridge

bradseabridge LawnSite Senior Member

Don't mow my yard with your 32in WB Husq turf mower because it doesn't look as good as your 300$ honda 21in MULCHER?!

I charged her double.
  9. just in time

just in time LawnSite Member

half way done the yard the lady come out and saids it is to hot to cut the grass. I was like it is just 95 out.
  10. bradseabridge

bradseabridge LawnSite Senior Member

That happens to me all the time in the old folks community, I hate when they tell me it's too hot for me to mow. It's never it's too hot for the grass to be mowed, it's too hot for you to be outside doing the work.