Best Customer Complaints!

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by carguyrob, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Texas Lawn

Texas Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I had a lady who I could never cut the grass short enough for her. Lower, lower, lower. I explained in Texas if you cut it that short its going to burn cause its so hot. Still didnt listen, so it burned. Still though, with burnt grass she wanted me to mow it lower. Dirt is flying up, taking off inches of top soil. People driving by can only see me from the waist up im cutting it so low, but I do it to humor her, chuckling the whole time I destroyed her yard. Then after Im all done, she looks at me with a straight face and says, "You know, I think it might be too short." I asked for payment and never mowed again, not as if there would be anything to mow for awhile.

2. MooseMan89

MooseMan89 LawnSite Member

ROFL!
    I have done the same thing before. This lady that i cut the grass for was pissed at how high she claimed I cut it. So I explained to her that the height is just perfect if not low, and that her yard wouldn't look too good if I go any lower because it's uneven and it will scalp. But i promised her to cut it very low next time because she seemed like she didn't care or know what i was talking about.. So next time i mowed her grass I removed all the caster spacers and mowed it at the lowest setting. Her yard looked horrible. Scalps everywhere. Plus i went on 5th gear. She came out side when I was done and said "Hmm. A little better.. But still ain't low enough...." She bent down and put her hand flat on the lawn and the grass was 1/4 up her finger (her placing her whole palm flat). She said you see? I dont want the grass this high.. So i smiled and said not a problem. I'll be sure to get it right and make you happy next time.
    Two weeks later I brought my snapper 42 in rear engine tractor which gives you lots of flexibility as far as deck height. I set the deck exactly the same height as the tires and destroyed her lawn. I was basically mowing dirty. Put on my shades and dust mask and was laughing my as* off as I was mowing.
    She came out side with a smiling. She said that's Perfect!!!

I'm thinking like.. WHAT!? I took her check and never came again!

3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

You guys better remember to sharpen your blades after that :laugh::laugh:

4. Son69

Son69 LawnSite Member

I took a new customer on this spring. After i was done moving, the owner came out and said i did a horrible job and he never wanted to see me again. I was floored....i did a really good job! About 10 days go by and the wife calls and wants to know if i forgot to come and mow the lawn. I told her what happened and she said her husband has Alzheimer's and doesn't know what he is saying sometimes. Now each week i ether do a great job or I'm told never to come again.... Kinda sad in a way, knew the guy before, really nice guy.

5. twcw5804

twcw5804 LawnSite Senior Member

Unfortunetly the lady from my story passed away last week and I went to the visitation. Very sad she was one of my more comedic customers.

6. twcw5804

twcw5804 LawnSite Senior Member

What about the fact that you can only work 8 months out of the year?

7. bradseabridge

bradseabridge LawnSite Senior Member

It's too hot for you to be working outside, come back later.......

8. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

See, these are the complaints that really get under my skin. Sure, the "your mower is too heavy for my lawn" ones are annoying, but these old people are sitting inside listening to the newscasters crying about how hot it is from their air conditioned offices. Sure, it's hot, and yes, it's dangerous if you're not careful, but with proper clothing, water consumption, food intake, sunscreen, etc, there's no logical reason why I shouldn't be working outside. Those kind of complaints make me feel like a little kid being told at recess or day camp to not eat before getting in the pool. I know how my body works, dang it, just because you can't work outside don't mean I can't. :laugh::laugh:

9. bradseabridge

bradseabridge LawnSite Senior Member

Tell me about it, usually I just show up anyway so that I can stick to my schedule. By the time I'm done working they have just realized that I'm even there. They come out and say "OMG IT'S TOO HOT YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN OUT THERE DOING IT" to which I reply, "I have a strict schedule to stick too and I can't be coming back when it's "cooled down".

10. shooterm

shooterm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I understand the mower is to big for the lawn. Small lawns look nice if there striped from angles rather then swathed thru.