1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best cut discussion

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Manorscape, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Manorscape

Manorscape LawnSite Member
    from PA

I've searched and read a lot of back and forth about best cut quality, and no definitive answer seemed apparent. I have been mowing and gardening for 18 years, and I suffer from brand favoritism, somewhat. I use all Toro, and I include Lawn Boy in that category.

Anyway, my Proline 44 inchers are due to croak (knock on wood), and my 3 21" Proline (Suzuki) are starting to show their 10 years of age as well.

The 44's side discharge GREAT, but leave a little bagging trail if I have to bag. Annoying.

The 21's mulch or bag very well at lower adjustment heights, but at 3 1/4" they cut like total crap. I even ran them without a bag and the rear shoot open just to see if improved airflow would help. It didn't.

2 stroke lawn boys cut incredible under all circumstances, but do not mulch anywhere near as well as the prolines, and of course are not available anymore.

I have done double blades, aftermarket blades, and even modified some of the sail angles on factory blades, tying to improve cut quality and having marginal success.

Which 21" trim mowers do you think leave the best cut quality, primarily in bagging mode?

Do you guys find a big difference between 3 and 4 blade walk behind deck setups?

PS: Please someone build a commercial mower that weighs less than 120 freaking pounds, is not a new style Lawn Boy, and is not a Snapper. =)
  2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Try this blade on the proline- vacu-deck toro blade # 02- 7700 much more suction, should stand up the grass better, take out those deflectors with this blade.
  3. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

The 21" Honda HRC216.
  4. Manorscape

Manorscape LawnSite Member
    from PA

Awe man I was hoping no one would mention Honda =( I just cant use those 'ergonomic' style handles.

I like it old school...just a steel bar and a bail, or two.

TY for the blade tip (pun intended), Im going to give them a shot. I had already removed the deflectors back in like 2000. Bags WAY better without them especially when you must pull the mower toward you for tight little areas.