1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Cut/Residential Use

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by epik, Apr 3, 2003.

1. epik

epik LawnSite Member

I am a residential owner. I have apprx. 2 acres of rolling hills to cut. Going to buy a ZTR. Price & deck size range from my search:

$5300 for a Cub Tank 48", fabricated, 19 hp Kawi;

$5600 for a Ferris 1000Z, 48", no suspenion, 21hp Kawi

$5650 for a Scag Tiger Cub, 48", 19 hp Kawi

$5700 for a Toro Z100, 52", 19 hp Kawi

$6400 for a Exmark Lazer HP, 48", 20hp Kawi

I want good cut quality with no bagging and want to get it done!

All thoughts or other suggestions welcome!

I am comfortable with all of the dealers that I have spoken to, and they are all fairly geographically close to me. Money matters, but this is a long term investment. Any coments about potential re-sale value would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance.

2. You've listed them in order of quality. Though some people might say the Ferris should rank higher, and the Tank shouldn't even be on the list.

I just wanted to mention to you that you should consider a 60" deck. The 48" is just too hard to trim with. Plus nobody wants to buy a used 48" ZTR. I know, I had one for sale a while back.

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Ferris... just my .02 :cool:
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Rolling hills?? Hint - bring them ALL home to demo on those hills. Have the dealer show you how to use it best on hills and then try it at home. Some are better than others on hills...
  5. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

Ferris :)

You might to upgrade to some of ferris's suspension units, they surpass everyone. JUST MY TWO CENTS.:)
  6. Organic-man

Organic-man LawnSite Member

A 52" Lazer Z HP will take care of the trimming nicely. Mine has no problem and trims better than the 52" full size lazer. The quality is excellent and the dealers are easy to deal with.
  7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Cub Tank:)
  8. LWNMWR1

LWNMWR1 LawnSite Member

scag, as hard as mine get worked and as few problems as i have you should never have to worry again. do look at bigger decks or machines, ie turf tiger. they will save you lots of time and not that much more expensive.
  9. Mr.Stripey Lawn Care

Mr.Stripey Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Do you have any other options. While they are all good mowers, have you looked into other brands. The Textron/Bobcat that I own was fairly inexpensive, has a 52" deck, 19 horse Kawi, and a striping-kit (if that is important to you).

Maybe a ZT isn't the best call either. A Simplicity rider is a very nice machine too. They have nice suspention for hills and the sort.
    They also make ZT's, and own Ferris.
  10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Best deal up there is the Tiger Cub. 6 months ago it would have been off your list pricewise but, due to wavering sales #'s, Scag dropped prices. Advantage deck does well in just about any condition.

BHB's point is a good one---demo whatever you can.