Best cutting hieght?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by new2thebiz, Apr 22, 2004.

1. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

Doesn't it depend on such factors as time of year, temperature, regional location, type of grass, homeowner preference, etc.?

To ask a general question like this seems ridiculous, IMO.

2. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I mow at 3" trying to get it up to 3.5"

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

4. It really depends on the type of grass I'm mowing..... If it is good and thick, and very little weeds I'll run aorung 4" it makes a wondeful stripe.. if the yard is spotty, has mutiple weeds, and several types of grass, I'll drop down to 3".... I actually have a couple of open fields that I mow on as high as my Toro will go.. I think it is around 6"... it make the grass look good and green, and stripes wonderful...... I never go below 3 though..

5. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

We mow at 3" with double blades

6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Please tell me you are not mowing Bermuda at 3" or higher. At the highest, hybrids should be mowed at 1.5" and common at 2". Bermuda will be more dense and less prone to thatch at the recommended heights.

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Turf density is proportional to cutting height. The shorter you mow the denser the turf, more shoots per foot.

8. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

i didn't know Bayer did Lawn products. thought they just did aspirin.

here is what i found from
    http://www.bayeradvanced.com/lawn/care/mowing-tips.cfm

Mow high. Mowing at the upper end of the recommended mowing height for your grass type encourages deeper roots and better heat and drought tolerance since the grass helps shade the soil to reduce evaporation and maximize soil moisture content. This is a critical area which can help reduce the need for more frequent watering. Set your mower at 1-1/2 inches high for common Bermuda; 1-inch high for hybrid Bermuda; 3 inches high for tall fescue; 2-1/2 inches for Kentucky bluegrass; and 2-1/2 to 3 inches for St. Augustine.

Mow often. Mow when the lawn reaches about 1/3 higher than the recommended mowing height. For example, mow tall fescue when it reaches about 4 inches high.

9. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

DJL-

Agreed the question is rediculous.

10. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

I'm a little confused at the lack of knowledge and just plain out WRONG methods here . I realize this is the "just starting in business section" but some of the replies are just BAD BAD BAD. This is why I get so frustrated with this site. I find you need to have a good sifter to sift out all of the BS that people give you. But, if you are just starting out (like myself...second year) how do you know who to believe, if its the correct method, etc.?

I would find for these types of questions you need to refer to books. Otherwise, you would be doing yourself a dis-service by listening to some "professionals" on this site.