1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Cutting Walk Behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Aaron Klemme, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Aaron Klemme

Aaron Klemme LawnSite Member

My name is Aaron and I own a lawn care service in St. Louis Area. I have 5# Scag 61's w/25 hp motors. I've been in the lawn buissness for 6 years now. I've delt with primarily large commercial accounts and a couple of residential accounts. I am expanding this year into primarily residential accounts. I need all the info, tips, well......ANYTHING about walk behind mowers. I want to know what you guys think is the best! I am looking for quality cut more than just durability. I need a mower that makes my yards look like a golf course but w/o the golf course mowers. I'm looking to get them with a 48'' deck and 15-20 hp motors. Price???? no big deal! Just tell me what to get.

John Deere, Exmark, Toro, Scag, Hustler, Farris, Gravely

I don't have the first d___ clue which mower to choose. I know JD, Exmark, and Ferris all are supposed to have an exellent finish cut.
    TELL ME MORE GUYS. Thanx a bunch,

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

If you type in the name of which brand you are comparing into the search feature you will find more pros and cons than you can shake a stick at.

There is everything from throw away trim mowers to hydrostatic walkbehinds. Hope this helps you out some.

Happy reading.
  3. Dodge, GM, or Ford

Never seen you here, where do you do the most work?

And you come over from Il. to here?

Why not Scag since you posted this before?

Glad to hear you are open for suggestions, but it's an answer only you can give. We just give our opinion of it.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I'll take Ford and eXmark!
  5. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

If youve already bought those three scag sthm's or ZTR's you didnt say what they were. I asume you have a good relationship with that scag dealer and thats a big deal when buying equipment. I would just buy top of the line scag walkbehinds. I have a scag w/b. Im buying an Exmark very soon mostly because of the dealer, service ect. I like both scag and exmark havent tried others that you mentioned above, but sure they are all good machines.
  6. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

We have a few 52'' Ferris hydro's and they run great. But how can you go wrong with any of the walkbehinds these days.
  7. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

Give me Chevy and Gravely !
  8. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I have a John Deere 36" wb that gives a real nice cut. It is a gear driven beast compared to the joy of the ZTR (Walker) but everytime I look at the finished cut of the jd it continues to keep a place on the trailer. I personally favor floating decks and this jd is fixed but it really does give a high quality finished cut.
  9. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

There are unique small differentiating features to each machine you have mentioned.

The new Gravely Walks have the best of everyone's and a little more.

Want heavy duty kick-ass - just look at the 7 gauge deck with 7 gauge reinforcements around the spindle. Gravely has these Exmark does not but Scag does. The new Gravely cuts better than any other walk on the market at this time. It is as heavy duty as a Scag but yet costs far less than most Scag's.

Then again, demo them and see for yourself.

Also, of course, there is the dealer factor.....an awesome dealer can make up for a mediocre machine.

Ariens/Gravely Guy

You didn't expect me not to post here did you???
  10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i take it u dont feel the scags can lay down a cut equal to a good walkbehind. well i dont know about the scags,but the exmark lazer will lay down a cut thats hard to beat ,with anything else ive used.does take a little know how.good luck to you now.