Best day at work

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spcfoor, Jul 29, 2004.

1. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

I have come to the relization that the worst day in the lawn care business is still better than the best day working for someone else. What do you all think?

2. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

It is always better to be the employer than the employee.

I struggle to understand why so many people stay at a job they hate year after year meanwhile those that are willing to take on a certain portion of risk are finding reward.

Most people fear the unknown and the uncertainty of being a business owner and instead find themselves more content working 40 hrs a week at a job they hate.

3. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Spcfoor, man you are soooo right. Here's my day so far...5:30am, get up, load Z, trimmer, etc., get to jobsite at 6:00am. Mow, trim, blow, until 7:30am, huge commercial property. Hop in truck, pick up breakfast at BK and drive back home to go to work. Work you say??? Yep, I'm a sales rep during the day so by 8:15am I'm in my office checking voicemail, emails, following up on sales calls, entering a couple orders, checking out Lawnsite.com, etc. 11:00am, back in the truck to go mow two apartment complexes, done by 12:15pm. Stop & pick up a soda & deli sandwich and head back to my shop (that's where my office is), 12:45pm back on the phone. Obviously now I'm on Lawnsite.com again and spend a lot of my day there because I hate my day job and can't wait to go full time LCO next season. But anyway, to finish out my day, I'll leave here at 4:30pm, drive to my next job, a nice bank in town. That job takes me about 90 minutes, ton of trimming, and lots of landscaping to work around. Load up and head home, tonight will be fairly early as I should be home around 6:30ish, no rain in the forecast so will leave everything loaded up and be ready to head out at 5:30am again tomorrow morning to do a pruning job for a resturant before work...

Did say that I can't wait to go full time lawn care??? I'd do it now but my wife stays home with the kids and we need the insurance benefits. But she'll be going back to work this winter and then I can dump the sales gig and work for myself FULL TIME! :blob3:

Buck

4. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the same boat as you up north. My wife and I are expecting our first child anyday now. I can't wait to quit my day job and go full time next year. I can't mow during the work day so I have to do all my jobs in the evening or on the weekends. Cant wait till next year.

5. Up North

from MN

Spcfoor, congrats and good luck with the baby! Hope everything goes smoothly for you & your wife. I've got two boys, Ben will be 3 next Tuesday and Sam is 8 months, they are my pride & joy!!!

Here's a pic of them...again good luck!

6. Up North

from MN

forgot the @#$% pic.....

best buds2.gif

7. J-dub

J-dub LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

UN -- You're from the Bemidji area? Wow -- small world... My family (years ago) used to vacation at Big McDonald Lake/Resort and go to Bemidji (I think that's the town) for turtle races -- we'd catch turtles, paint a number on their back and race them.

Anyways, good times.

Yes, mowing beats working behind a desk!