1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best day doing blow outs

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mdirrigation, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Set a new personal record today , 24 blowouts in 10 hours . Real tight route and picked up 5 new ones along the way . One spot I did 5 and didnt move the truck.
  2. Pro-lawns

Pro-lawns LawnSite Member

cool i did 17 on thursday did you charge full price i marked mine down 5 bucks since i was there
    i was still making 55.00 a blow
  3. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

Two saturdays ago me and my worker combined for 65 total, we each have our own truck and ac. My personal best is 34 in ten hours. Now that we have slowed down i would say a average of 2 per hour. I would like to say thanks to whoever noted to step down on the 12" sprays, I never heard or seen that before and was surprised to see the water left in them.
  4. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We blow only one zone at a time and have found the biggest time saver is to remove the nozzle on the last head on a spray zone. Be advised to pay attention to the wind. :rolleyes:

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Do you re-adjust that head for free come spring?
  6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

I wont mark down since I was there. We get a bit more than 55 a blow out , we havent charged that low since 1992
  7. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

RI Ohio... that's absolutely flying.... I was the one that mentioned stepping on the 12'' mist heads and am surprised it doesn't cause more splits than it does... I figured it out one year when I started up a system I winterized and found 7 cracked mist heads on one zone! That was tough to explain to the homeowner...

I did 10 in 2.5 hours the other day because they were all on the same street... I cut $10 off each winterization because I had one homeowner do all the work... He had made sure every garage was open and water was shut off when I got there... he also handed me one envelope with all the money in it... at that pace it's like doing 40 in 10hours but I still only did like 24 that day... next year my scheduling is going to be much better...

I don't give discounts to a neighbor when they walk up because...
    A) I don't want my current customer to feel ripped off if I'm giving a stranger a better deal
    B) it doesn't give them much incentive to call me in the future if I charge them full price. It encourages waiting until a neighbor calls and walking up to any sprinkler co.
    I often will give each customer a $5 break if they set up an appointment together. I figure when it cost $1 to drive 6 miles most of my cost is in wasting time driving from house to house.

I HATE when one mist head has a clogged nozzle or is shut off and you don't have a small screwdriver handy... I try to unscrew it just enough to let the head start spraying but at least 5 times this year I have been blasted in the face.... embarrassing when the homeowner is standing over your shoulder...
  8. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

sorry so chatty tonight but thought I thought of another thing... wanted to see what you guys do...

This year I started to mark EVERY problem I find on an invoice so we both have a copy of it in the spring... I'm tired of the "but it worked in the fall when we shut it down" like I broke it somehow by turning it on...

like today... zone three wouldn't come on by the timer and will just be a case of splicing the wire back together in the spring (classic chipmunk gnawing through the wire)... I opened it manually and marked it down as a problem for the spring and still got the ".. but it worked all year until you got here"... at least this way they know about it and won't try to claim its somehow due to a poor winterizing and should be under my guarantee...

do you guys do any repairs during winterizing? I just dont see how you'd have the time with the tight schedule... as long as the hole in the pipe is small enough that I can plug it up with a finger to get it blown out I'll deal with it in the spring...
  9. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

JCOM: Taking the last nozzle out is a good idea, I have thought about it a few times but it is so #^@% cold sometimes I would rather just keep my hands in my jacket. About three weeks ago I tried to turn off some ps-04's so the line would purge faster and it was so cold that when I turned it off I felt something moist on my hand and when I looked at it I sliced my finger wide open and did not even know.

BSME: I started doing the samething this year. I have a special form for winterizations so it will remind us and the owner is we left something open during the winterization or if we noticed a problem or if the owner wants to be put on a list for start-ups.
  10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Why wait for spring? I'd think that if a nozzle was removed to ease the blow-out process it should be replaced immediately after winterization. That way it doesn't become a spring surprise even if it's noted on some type of winterization form like others propose.

You could use something like the Rain Bird "pull-up" tool to leave the riser extended, blow the zone out and then immediately replace the filter/nozzle and dry set the adjustment. Now when you walk away from that sprinkler it's ready to go in the spring.