Best Dealer BS Story

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walkerrider, Apr 26, 2000.

1. walkerrider

walkerrider LawnSite Member

I have to know. After reading the results of an earlier post I was struck by people who make statements and buttress them with " that is what the dealer told me". So having dealt with dealers for 25 years in one form or another I have heard some creative advise. I would be interested in anyone dealer stories.Good or Bad

2. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

The worst one I can remember was when I bought a new Scag 40 hydro. It kept eating belts. Afte the third belt within the first 50 hours,the dealer and Scag decided that they were going to cut on my deck with a torch and reposition the idler pulley. I said no. They said that was a (field fix) problem. Long story short, they took back the mower and I bought a Grasshopper. I did half to act like a crazy man in the showroom briefly. With the cost of equipment lke it is, I expect Scag or any others to do their experimenting on their own time. <p>----------<br>Bobby <br>Ft Lauderdale

3. walkerrider

Ha. I can see it now. A few years ago I was looking for a Garden Tractor for my home. So I called around to 5-6 simplicity dealers in the area. Basically all had about the same price except for a guy up in New Hampshire. He comes back with a price $800 below the lowest competitor. I ask him is this new equipment, no hours on the clock in showroom condition etc. Of Course it is how stupid could I be. I drive the 60 miles to find a tractor which he didn't even bother to rehook the hour meter backup on. All weathered from being outside I would say a minimum of 2 years with gas in the tank. The guy commerces to assuring to pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. This baby is new. He turns the key to a dead battery. Jumper cables later its running barely as the gummed up carb coughs to life. all this time the guy tells me hard it is to work with the factory because you know &quot;nobody pays this kind of money anymore for lawn equipment&quot;. Not with Home Depot etc out their undercutting the market. Yes he did actually ask me for the sale at the end of this fiasco. I do check in once in a while to see if this rare beauty is still available. Im amazed to say some three years later it still out their. Anyone interested I'll be sure to forward you the info.....

4. Alan

Alan Member

This isn't dealer BS, this comes straight from the factory. We run Sno-Way plows for our winter business. Good plows, supported by a VERY good local dealer. BUT, in the times I have talked to the customer disservice guy at the factory I have found that he has ONE line, &quot;We never had that problem before!&quot;. Now I like to think I'm unique, but I can't believe I'm the only guy who ever had a light connector corrode away. Or that I am the only one who ever had a bad weld show up on a frame. I'm hoping,, really, REALLY hoping that I can run across this dweeb at L'ville or some other trade show. When I want to explain to someone that he is a true BS artist I SO prefer to do it face to face.

5. walkerrider

You know alan thats odd I have never had that problem before.

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I have found my dealor to be a bs artist and it trickles down to the mechanics. Their favorite saying like the above post. &quot;we have never had that problem before&quot;. Or &quot;we never have had one come back with a problem&quot; I don't see how people can lie to yuor face when they know sooner or later that u are going to find out the truthe

7. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Walkerrider, <br> where was this dealer in NH? Is it Philbricks or Waynes in North Hampton?<p>Mike

8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Bobby, I had a similar deal. I bought a Scag 48 belt. I have posted about it before, it basically was a POS. The dealer took it back for service. Of course they never had this problem before (Charles). They put a deck on it, still cut like S___. They gave me a hydro to use, it wasn't much better. Then they replaced mine four months later. It was only marginally better. I sold it for about a 35% loss and bought a Grasshopper too.<p>

9. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Common excuse here,for getting out of doing<br>waranty work is &quot;operator abuse&quot;.Last time<br>I got the &quot;never had that problem before&quot;<br>line I just said &quot;well,you got one now,me!&quot;<p>Karl<br>

10. walkerrider

LDMD1- It was Jims SmallEngines in Northboro. If you ever are out on a Sunday Drive with the Wife and Kids you can take them by. The place is a equipment graveyard.