Best " DecK " for wet grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighlandLC, Aug 5, 2008.

1. HighlandLC

HighlandLC LawnSite Member
    from CT

Doing my homework for a new ZTR, and today reallty had me thinking.

Weve had a very wet summer in the Northeast, and today even at 11:30 AM, a few of my normal Damp lawns were still very wet. The Scag Advantage 48 is really clumpy in this condition. Starting to get to that time of year that there is a very narrow window when they are completly dry.

So what are the best decks for wet northern type grass? Scags Velocity Plus, Exmark Ultra or Triton?

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Gravely X-Factor leaves no clumps and never gets any build up under the deck. This I can guarantee you because we own one and its the best deck we have ever used.

I hear the velocity plus does good to but we have never owned one.

3. rzero1123

rzero1123 LawnSite Member

I think one with a lawn dryer in front of it... I know my Toro's don't like the wet grass

4. HighlandLC

HighlandLC LawnSite Member
    from CT

Do the Toro's have the Turbo Force system ?

5. Backhoe Man

Backhoe Man LawnSite Member

I would think the Scag Velocity Plus would be hard to beat. Brian//////

6. rzero1123

rzero1123 LawnSite Member

yes both do it's just too wet to often lately , dry or lightly damp it ok just have to clean the decks more often

7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We had record rain fall the first half of this season and the grass was very deep. Never a single clump left from our x-factor and I never once had to scrape the deck.

8. Backhoe Man

Backhoe Man LawnSite Member

Sounds good ProStreet. I would never own a deck that I had to clean or it clumped. (I cut to much wet grass) Brian////////

9. ccl

ccl LawnSite Member
    from ky

Just a suggestion for your Advantage deck, I opened up my discharge opening on my Turf Tiger and put the 3 in. wide super hi lift blades on it and it hardly ever clumps .

10. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

My velocity plus on my Tiger cuts wet grass really well. With the adjustable front baffle you can "taylor" it to your specific needs. Huge opening and it moves alot of grass. i have owned the advantage also and the velocity does wet grass alot better. :usflag: