Best Deck On New ZTRs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daner, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Who do you think makes the best deck on the new Zeees.
    Triton?? Toros new turbo force?...or Huslers...ect. What do you guys think/?
    Or what do you think of the whole new machines?
    Daner

2. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

ive heard great things about the turbo force decks, really built well.

3. mowpart rep3

mowpart rep3 LawnSite Member

i think the toro has the better deck not only is it 7 gauge all the way around but it has the adjustable baffle that come standard and heavy duty spindles

4. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I like that part too...aso haveing the Kubota engine on board. Also wondering about the Hustler...Ithink they have a cat engine?? hummmmmmmm??

5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Judging from the polls I put up in another part of this forum, the XR-7 is liked much better than the Triton.

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Well I would hope so.

I would honestly have to say the Gravely decks are some of the best. They are very heavy duty decks and a great design. They also stripe really well and have great spindles.

Gravely® Air-Flo Deck Design
    Deep 5.4"-high deck, innovative cutting chamber design and extra-wide discharge tunnel provide maximum airflow to expel clippings faster.

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with this statement. I have run into some pretty solid things and the deck didnt even think about bending.

8. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I still can't find a deck that mows better around here then the ultracut. My next favorite would be the xr7. I had the same experience with the turbo force as I did with the triton, just it wasn't anywhere near as bad.

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Never been on a Gravely. The Scag Velocity and Hustler XR7 have a good name this year, I could use more lift with the XR7 and stock fusion blades. My Exmark Ultra cut still leaves a smoother finish than either of them but Exmark has phased it out on all but a few models. Triton, bad reviews in Northern grasses. Toro has exellent reviews North or South. So I would rate the ones I know and have used from top to bottom #1 Exmark Ultracut, #2 3 way tie Hustler XR7, Scag Velocity and Toro Turbo Force. No other decks stand out to me but I haven't used several brands. Grasshopper leaves a good cut but clogging and clumping are compaints I had and so have others around here. I hear bad about Dixies but the ones I've watched did pretty decent considering how fast they were going but I don't have enough seat time to say for sure. I have never seen another deck lift grass up, cut it carpet smooth and then blow it 15+ ft. like the Ultracut though. But it isn't the greatest in wet grass and you have to scrape the deck once a week or so. I think alot is the type of grass you cut. The XR7 and the Velocity with no baffle look like they would exel in grass that is coarse. For the fescue here that lays down you have to have lift and alot of it so the Ultracut exels a least when its dry. My Exmark with the Ultra cut blows out a wide stream of grass and is great for blowing off parking lots, drive ways, etc. The Hustler XR7 blows grass a long way but it is a narrow stream on the front of the dicharge chute and it doesn't blow parking lots off nearly as well. Different blades may make a big difference but I haven't had a chance to try yet. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth. Others have thier own opinions. Still like the handling of the Exmarks but will have to wait to see what they do with the Triton decks before I buy one.

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a John Deere 717A with 7 Iron II deck (48") about 3 months ago. I use it, along with my Exmark TriVantage deck (36").

The 7 Iron II deck produces a far better cut. From my use over this short time, I am very pleased with the result. It leaves NO stringers and a carpet-like finish. The clippings are spread at least two passes behind the chute, and are spread evening. I wonder how any other deck could improve on the result on the properties I mow. My properties are cool weather grasses (never guess that the past couple of days!).

Several of my customers, who I don't think cared or noticed, have called me to say "what a great job your new mower does on my lawn." Obviously, their observation weight heavily in my assessment.

As a side note, the Exmark will put down a better stripe, but from the comments of customers they don't give a hoot about stripes (just as expressed in other threads on the striping topic).

I don't know how it will do with leaves, but that is a secondary concern.