1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best deck & worst deck of your career???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the BEST deck you have EVER used on a mower and what is the WORST deck you have EVER used on a mower in your career of mowing grass???

No bashing eachs others opinions please!

For me so far the best deck I have used is the newer scag decks.

Worst deck would have to be by far the toro 21" recycler deck. I could be cutting 1/8" of new growth off and the mower would be bogging yet my old Murray 21" would mulch grass with no problem with even a smaller motor!
  2. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I had the same problem after I changed to a notched blade. If you don't have the original blade on it try to find one that has a lower lift. But this was on my pro-line 2-cycle. I know that to much lift will hold a lot of clippings in the deck on any mower...
  3. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Iv only run BobCats, but I like them a lot. I was mowing the other day right next to a yard that a guy was using a Scag. My mower was clumping, and his wasn't. Same hight and everything.

I also had a lawn boy 22 that I didn't care fore. I don't like the off set deck. It clogs, and I cant go up and down steps easy. I cut the support out of the grass opening, and it weekend the mower deck. Now its bent 7 different ways to Sunday.
    I just bought a Toro 22 and im very happy with it so far. Although I like the rear wheel drive of the Lawn Boy. The Toro has front wheel drive.
  4. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Best Exmark tri vantage
    Worst Bunton.

Nuf said
  5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry Bunton Guy, I have to say the worst was the 36" Bunton I had.
  6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I'd have to say my Exmark UltraCut is the best I have used. Hands down, the worst was a 1993 Scag 48" walkbehind. Dealer put a new deck on it, still would not cut well. Distributor picked it up, gave me a loaner for 4 months, then sent me one of the, then new, Florida models. It cut on marginally better and I dumped it for a big loss 5 months later.
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Worst- 1991 JD W/B
    Best - 2003 Gravely 272z
  8. C.T. Lawn Care

C.T. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

best so far would be my new 36" bunton walk-behind
    the worst would be my OLD 52" prostar.. would always clog no matter what
  9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I get to use alot of different mowers since I also work on them. From what I have experience with here's IMO best and worst.

Best- '99 eXmark TTHP of mine.
    Worst- 2001 JD 7-iron deck (I hear the new ones are much better but never tried. this one was JUNK)

Residential mowers, multi blade decks:
    Best- '95 Simplicity that I had for a short while
    Worst- 80's Craftsman 44"

Residential mowers, single blade decks:
    Best- Toro 32" that I used to have
    Worst- MTD 30" rear engine rider

19-22" mowers
    Best- Tie between Lawn Boy and Toro.
    Worst- early 70's Toro shallow deck with straight blade (no lift and slanted cutting edge).
    Most homeowner 19-22" mowers can be made to cut good, but they often cannot match the mulching action of a commercial machine (Lawn Boy's Easy Mulch plate works very well though)
  10. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM LawnSite Member

Best- Bobcat
    Worst- Toro