1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Best design for a leaf box on my 1 ton?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by M&MLawn, Oct 4, 2009.

1. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Joe, you could have started a new thread for this, but you will get responses here. IMO, as long as its on the truck it shouldn't matter where. The only issue the state may have is the sign is too easy to remove. I have seen companies that do pesticide work in NY, OH, and PA use magnetic signs depending on the state they are in. Those signs are just as easy to remove and they seem to be ok with the states.

2. underESTIMATED

underESTIMATED LawnSite Member

@Spruce - How has this setup lasted over the past two seasons?

I really like how you set yours up, and since I upgraded my truck this year...I'm also struggling to figure out the best solution so that I don't make it twice.

Thanks!

3. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the vac on the trailer. Do you run that set up in the reg season with the walker ? If not whats your method for dealing with the clippings ?

4. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I wish i could tell you how it has held up but i sold off my business in 2010. The gentleman i sold the truck to was another landscaper from here on lawnsite, just cant remember his screen name. The leaf setup worked really well on THAT particular dump body because it was all very light weight and made of pvc or plastic so there was nothing to rust except for the brackets which are cheap if need be. I can tell you though i have never seen a better system in my area except for some of the municipal trucks.

For the guy asking about the loader: i only kept this setup for leaf season. The leaf box and loader/table came off after the first few months of the year when spring cleanouts were done being scheduled. I suppose you could leave ot on for sucking up grass from the walkers but we always just muscled the 9 bushelsby hand because it was just a lot faster. Even when rhey are heavy its cheaper and faster to kust buy 4 or 5 bags to have i. The truck and you can always just fill em and leave them sit until you are done with a big cut and then have two guys throw them in the dump.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  5. SpruceLandscape

from ohio

The biggest mistake that guys make when coming up with a leaf box for their truck is that they try to seal it up. In fact you need to have at least twice the volume of air to be able to exhaust as you are blowing in when operating the leaf loader. The whole point is to let the loader move the material into the truck, but then the material needs to be able to fall out of the air stream and not try to exhaust with it out of whatever enclosure you have built. The way to achieve this is by having at LEAST twice the available air movement out of the box as you have coming in. with that in mind now you can design a box that will function properly for whatever dump body you are using. If its a shorty style 8' dump you will want your openings near the back of the truck so that the material can deposit at the front. When you have the larger 12-14' versions like mine was your options become much more flexible as you can see from the pics. Good luck amd let us lnow what you come up with.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. SpruceLandscape

from ohio

Here is a bump for an Older thread with lots of good info for an appropriate time of year. I'm out of the biz myself but I still troll on here from time to time. Feel free to ask questions if you have any.

Stay safe, stay LEGAL, and most of all MAKE MONEY!
    Have a great season everyone, winter is almost here!

7. tsmiff1

tsmiff1 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Here's mine...

image.jpg

8. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

That is really clever

9. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

I really like this idea but how do you fill up, and start it? I'm guess you have the exhaust hose on in the inside.

10. tsmiff1

tsmiff1 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

The gas tank sits low enough where it's easy to kneel down and fill it up. There's enough space between the frame of the truck to reach back there to access the key, choke and throttle. They exhaust tube is on the inside of the truck. Designed to separate when the bed is raised.
    Posted via Mobile Device