Best Dethatcher

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ACut AboveLandscapin, Mar 16, 2004.

1. ACut AboveLandscapin

ACut AboveLandscapin LawnSite Member

I was wondering what the best dethatcher is. I hear the Billy Goat is really good. I would like to hear some opinions from people who have used different Dethatchers such as Lesco, luebird, Ryan and any others.

2. padude2004

padude2004 LawnSite Member

how well does the one from jrco work. this one attaches to the front of the mower. any feedback from that one???thanks

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

4. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever tried the dethatcher blades you can put on a 22"lawnmower? It looks like a spring on each end of the blade with wires that stick down into the grass. I realize its kind of a homeowner gimmick, but I don't do many dethatching jobs, and it would be cheaper than renting a dedicated machine.

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

6. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

Jrco rake = pimp for spring clean-ups no need to really dethatch after using it. Used our rake for 3 spring seasons with tremendous results. Less thatch to take away.

7. msloop77

msloop77 LawnSite Member

Hey Grassfearsme,

How fast are you going and how many passes do you have to do, in order to get a majority of the dead grass up in the spring with the jrco dethatcher. thanks, mark

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You can move however fast your mower will go. I inly go overv the lawn once, each time you repeat, you pull just as much stuff out. With a 60", you can cover alot of ground, fast.

9. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Would this work? Take a flat piece of steel the size of your mower blade and along it's length run 1/4", or less, by 2" bolts through it. Balance it good and use this instead of your regular blade to pull up thatch. Break a bolt and all you'd have to do is to put another one in...

10. Justcutslawnserv

Justcutslawnserv LawnSite Member
    from NJ

When I first started my lawn co. we where called A Cut Above The Rest. We later found out when we went to register the name that someone in Camden county has the name A Cut Above. Just thought you would like to know.