1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best dry fertilizer that will give quick green-up

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by lawnkid, Mar 11, 2003.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

What is the best kind of dry fertilizer I can put down right after I make my first cut on all my accounts that will give it a quick green-up without too many weeds and overall rejuvenate the lawn after a hrash winter. Price is not too big of an issue too. Just wondering what you guys use.
  2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Urea 46-0-0
  3. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

Be Careful!

You should not need to put any nitrogen down on the lawn that early in the Spring -- especially not straight Urea. This can be very detrimental to cool season grasses because of the resulting growth spurt. This growth spurt will deplenish the grasses reserves and leave it very susceptible to summer stress.

The K-State Turf department suggests no more that .25 - .5 N be applied in the spring for optimal growth of bluegrass and fescue lawns.

www.oznet.ksu.edu/library/hort2/MF2324.pdf is a great article on proper lawn fertilization.

This opinion is not based on theory alone. Have you ever seen a Chem-Lawn look beautiful in the early Spring and then be the first one to brown out in the summer? It is for this very reason.

4. EJK2352

Urea 46-0-0. It will cover 46,000 square feet at .5 N per K or 57,500 square feet at a .25 N per K. Quick green-up and economical. :) ;) :) ED
  5. Hamons

You are leaving out a lot of important nutrients for your grass though.

Wouldn't a 19-0-19 be a better choice - since the Potassium would help promote root growth and stress tolerance. But you are right -- not as cheap!
  6. EJK2352

19-0-19 will only cover 19,000 sq. ft at a .5 N per K rate or 27,000 at a .25 N per K rate. The potash might help a little w/ stress tolerance but will cost a lot more per K than 46-0-0 . You could put a more balanced fert down at your next round and help ready the grass for summer stress. :) ;) :) ED
  7. Hamons

If we are not looking for the cheapest route though -- do you agree that a 1-0-1 fertilizer overall would be a better choice for the grass?
  8. EJK2352

Yes, I agree. You might as well add some slow release N while your at it, say 50% and apply it at a .75-1 lb. per K rate to extend the greening. :) ;) :) ED
  9. NO UREA
    Jeff, your 19-0-19 used sulfate of potash, right!!

If properly fert in fall, wouldn't need much n in spring!

.25 to .5 n if quick release, and maybe .33 to .66 if min of 33% slow release.

2/3 of n in fall

Doing soil test, right!!!
    Need more help, pm me

10. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

If you just want it to green up without top growth, try some iron. As has been said, proper fall/winter apps will get it going good in the spring.