Best Ear Protection

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ToroLandscaper, Jan 17, 2006.

1. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the best ear muff type ear protection....right now i have the cheapo $17.00 pair and they just ARE NOT cuttin it....i would realy like to get a good pair of ear muffs and then put them over ipod ear peices...what is the best ear muff type ear protection? Also what do you all think of the ones with a radio in them....would i be better off gettin those or doing the ipod idea???

2. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

ANYONE? Please Help
  3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Personally I did not like the muff styles durring the summer I used the corded plugs. The muff styles were just too uncomfortable in the AZ heat. The muff styles you are referring to are called Peltors. Lots of guys have them. Do a search. I remember someone saying that there was a style change they didn't like.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Yes the radio is cool we have several sets silencio, peltor, elvex.:cool:
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If you really want to go all out, there are times when I like absolute peace and quiet... Also there are times when the earmuffs are better (like in winter) and then in summer I find the plugs better (less heat). The muffs are less nonsense, but the plugs don't get ripped off your head by a branch (man I hate that). That last bit is also the reason I don't care for corded plugs, I'd rather lose a few than have something rip on that cord, but that's just me.

Here's what I did:
    I went to Napa and bought a BIG box of earplugs, it's like 40 bucks for 200 pairs... Looking back, I could've got a smaller 100 pairs box, 200 is a lifetime supply with plugs left over. One set of plugs lasts me several days, almost a week... When they're dirty, I throw them with my clothes in the washer, then I let them air dry, I find I can wash them once or twice before they become useless. Thus, I get a week or two out of each pair, and there's 200 in a box.

Then I also use the Stihl orange earmuffs. To be honest, the plugs are superior from my own experience, but the earmuffs are nice like when the plugs make your ears sore, and also in winter the muffs keep the ears from freezing.

Now the double-whammy ultra-quiet stfu combo is to put the plugs in your ears, then the earmuffs over it, that works wonders.

Also I have a sports-mp3 CD player with the Koss earbuds, same combo - Earbuds in, music ON, earmuffs over. But watch the cord, I've been lucky thus far, just have to be careful (I find slipping the cord through my t-shirt (in the top and out the bottom) helps a lot.
  6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have used Stihl orange muffs for the past few years. They hold up well, but are hot during the summer (but warm during cold days!).

I have refrained from plugs because I tend to have buildup of gunk in my ears. I fear the plugs, especially when hot, will excerbate the problem, pushing the material further into the ear.

I tried a couple of other muffs (one was Elvex), but it didn't do as good of job for sound, nor did they withstand the day-to-day use. One of my customers is a supplier of safety items for industrial use. He was being kind and gave me a couple of pairs of muffs he carries as part of his product line. They were horrible -- didn't last one week before the puffy covers came off. And, they didn't do much of a job killing noise.

I've concluded the Stihl muffs must be one of the best. The muff parts are not replaceable. I checked and learned no parts are available. The only choice is to buy a new pair.
  7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I do like what topsite does with his mp3 player. I just run the earbuds underneith and the cord goes under my clothes, hurts alot when they rip out of your ears because the cord catches on something.
  8. stoneseller

stoneseller LawnSite Member
    from MD Z7

I've tryed a bunch of brands over the years to use in my stone cutting shop.
    The most comfortable, longest lasting, & quietest I have found are the Peltor H10's.
  9. Kilman's

Kilman's LawnSite Member

my left ear got all jacked up last year from ear plugs, the doctor said that ear plugs are actually harmful to the ears, muffs are warm during the summer, but had you rather be hot or deaf
  10. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

what'd you do twist it up real tight and poke you ear?