1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Echo trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SouthernYankee, Nov 23, 2004.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

When I was 11 years old, (I am 24 now) my father bought me an echo trimmer to do some landscaping work down the street. I still have it today and it still runs! I love echo

What I am asking is what is the best echo trimmer to get now since I am getting back into buisness after I graduate this spring? Should I get the straight bar or the bent bar? any advice would be appreicated.SY
  2. Collegiate

Collegiate LawnSite Member

Good Story.
    I use only echo. I have the srm230 straight shaft. It has been working great. I two of them, a echo stick edger, hand held blower and back pack blower all from echo. They are awesome. Good Luck.
  3. lawncat

lawncat LawnSite Member

Most of us use straight shaft trimmers--much more comfortable and stronger.

The Echo SRM 260S is a serious trimmer. If you wait till after the first of the year the new Echo SRM 260T will be available.

Your local dealer may have some "04 models that he may discount a little.
  4. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

are the home depot models ok?
  5. Collegiate

Collegiate LawnSite Member

Simply put. NO.
    I used to by things from Lowe's. They always break down when needed. I stopped relying on them. I go to a Dealer now where if anything happens to go wrong they fix it immediately. No delay.
    Ask the home depot where they send equipment for repairs. It will probably be a local dealer.
  6. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Until Echo fixes the "glitch" that gives the operator a slight burn on his forearm when resting the elbow while trimming, the best Echo trimmer would be a Kawasaki.
  7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I would say to get the SRM-260S because it has a shaft drive that makes it operate a lot smoother than a cable drive.
  8. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Assuming you get an Echo, make sure the carb is working correctly. If you have any problems, bring it back right away. In my area, virtually everyone had problems with the newer Echos. You couldn't get them to run at mid-throttle, it was either idle or full throttle. Supposedly, a lot of the trimmers were sold with non-adjustable carbs that had problems.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Echo went about 3 years without an easy adjustment on carb. You can go in and get adjustable carb for around $50 now and retrofit your old units. Well worth money. It is not possible to run under HOT/COLD and NEW/OLD conditions without adjustment. It is possible to adjust those without screw but it is difficult. You have to go inside the carb and turn the needle and it is hard and not exact. Wait and get the 260T it is geared down to give more torque at head. IT runs a little slower but you run 24" string. We tested one last year and it is a screamer. It outperformed most of the 31XX competition and it is much lighter.
  10. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

Be careful buying things from Lowes, or the Depot, Many retailers will only buy a product that meets certain price points, ie: Depot carries certain Honda mowers that cannot be found anywhere else so getting parts and service gets that much harder. I almost bought a Honda hydro pushmower from them until I realized it had the low end engine on it (bushings throughout instead of roller bearings,etc.) with hydraulic drive. You'll be glad you chose to support your local dealer when you need something fixed ASAP.